Talk

Advanced search

Google ads ... lacking in tact?

(13 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 09:24:03

I don't know if this is fixable, but I thought it was worth flagging. Because Google ads base the ad content on the page content, we're getting ads for "Extramarital dating" sites on threads in which women are talking about their husband's infidelity.

Which isn't great.

lemonice Tue 28-Jun-05 09:34:57

I hadn't noticed there were google ads until you put this..but I see there is one at the top of this for free smileys to come up for other discussions?

lemonice Tue 28-Jun-05 09:40:25

just had a flip through to see what comes up the default seems to be glasgow pram centre but a thread under teenagers "I'm so sad all the time " brings up an opportunity to create a memorial for cherished loved ones...

QueenOfQuotes Tue 28-Jun-05 09:41:45

can't see them [confused]

PS Tech any chance of a few more smiley's - frown, confused etc??

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 09:42:24

Yeah, it looks at the page content to decide the ads. Generally, that's fine, but it's a bit off-putting to see adverts for infidelity on a thread about someone being hurt by infidelity ... probably can't be helped?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 09:42:55

The google ads are right at the top, in the middle. They're just text, no pictures. Generally, they're less annoying than any other kind of ad.

SoupDragon Tue 28-Jun-05 09:43:33

QoQ, up next to Pauline Fowler in the Boden ad.

Never noticed them before but don't usually use IExplorer.

QueenOfQuotes Tue 28-Jun-05 09:45:20

see them now thank

Marina Tue 28-Jun-05 09:45:26

Hello, this is such a valid point, I hadn't even spotted this until now. As a mere non-pointy-head Mod, I didn't know about the Google ads, but to ensure the team know about this asap I have sent the link to Mumsnet HQ

Thanks for spotting NQC

Marina Moderator

JJmumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-Jun-05 10:07:39

Thanks for the heads up! They've been taken down for now and will be more thoroughly filtered if we put them back.

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 10:10:34

i used to have this problem on my site. it's a self-harm support site and we were getting ads for razor blades!

Marina Tue 28-Jun-05 10:26:28

starlover that's very unfortunate and upsetting...

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 10:27:19

yeah it was... i e-mailed them and they stopped them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: