Talk

Advanced search

Photos- help!

(12 Posts)
girlsyearapart Sat 31-Oct-09 21:20:29

Keep trying to create a gallery on my public profile thingy.

My photos are j peg and are fine to load on to f book/send as e mails as they are so surely correct format??

I go to the create gallery page, get the photo up in the browse bit, give it a name, click the button.

The green bar at the bottom moves in a completing way and after a while a blank screen comes up with Done written at the bottom.

But it is NOT 'Done'.

reeeeaally want to put some pics of dd2 when her excema was very bad and what she looks like now to give people some hope!

HELP.

BertieBotts Sat 31-Oct-09 21:28:27

Might be to do with the site maintenence which is going on - I'll just quickly try to upload one.

girlsyearapart Sat 31-Oct-09 21:34:38

Have been trying on and off for ages now though..

BertieBotts Sat 31-Oct-09 21:38:25

I have just uploaded one fine. Are you sure they are small enough? Mumsnet prefers photos to be smaller before uploading than other sites. I usually resize mine to 300 x 400 first. I do it in Photoshop but there are lots of free programs which will do it for you - there are links on the upload photo page.

BertieBotts Sat 31-Oct-09 21:42:12

(Sorry if that came across as bossy!)

girlsyearapart Sat 31-Oct-09 21:46:36

No no boss away if it means it'll work! They upload onto fb and send as e mails though which I thought meant they were the right format?

BertieBotts Sat 31-Oct-09 22:06:11

They sound like they are the right format, yes, the format means whether they are .jpg etc. You probably need to make them smaller though. Will copy and paste the MN instructions on how to because I am rubbish at explaining things quickly grin

BertieBotts Sat 31-Oct-09 22:07:45

Your image files should be JPEG images (they'll usually have a .jpg extension) Many digital cameras take very high-resolution images and store them as very large files. Even on broadband, these files can take over two minutes each to reach our server. The server won't accept files that are too large. It may be easier and quicker for you to make reduced-size copies of your photos before you upload them to us. Your digital camera may well have come with some software for this purpose. Check if your camera program has a sharing or emailing option. These will normally make smaller copies of your pictures without affecting the original.

If not, there are many free programs available that will shrink images. If you are using Microsoft Windows, Microsoft makes available a free product - the "Image Resizer Power Toy" for this purpose. To use it, you can go to Microsoft PowerToys and download the Image Resizer from the list of items on the right side of the page. It's very easy to use. If you'd rather not install new software, Windows XP lets you shrink images to send in an email. Microsoft has instructions on how to use this facility on this page. You can save the attachments this procedure creates as a new file to upload to us.

Similar utilities are available for other operating systems. For example, new Apple Macs come bundled with iPhoto. This can shrink images and also do many other types of image manipulation. To export a picture in a smaller size from iPhoto, click it in your library then choose Share then Export from the menu, and follow the instructions on the screen to save a copy with a smaller size. In the "scale images no larger than" box, replace the higher number with 600 and click export to save a shrunken copy of your picture. This should create a file small enough to upload to us.

girlsyearapart Sat 31-Oct-09 22:12:06

Yes they are jpeg, will wait till our lodger comes back as he's the techno brains in the house.. Thanks for your help.

girlsyearapart Sun 01-Nov-09 20:22:07

Right he re sized them and now I have finally managed to put some on my profile. THanks smile

BertieBotts Mon 02-Nov-09 10:26:34

Yay glad I could help

OliviaaaahsandoohsMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Nov-09 10:37:25

Wow, thanks Bertie, we're glad you could too
Thanks
Girlsyearsapart - any other probs, don't hesitate to send us an email at contactus at mumsnet dot com
HTH
MN TOWERS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now