Talk

Advanced search

Calling all you fashionistas/style gurus! We need your style-and-beauty tips

(314 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Oct-09 16:02:40

Hello.

We're thinking of doing an MN Guide to Style and Beauty - but we can't do it without you! <hides frumpy shoes under desk>

We'd love you to post bestest, wittiest, most practical style/hair/beauty tips, secrets, rules, dos and don'ts on this thread.

Obviously, we're thinking "this will make you look good in the 13 seconds you have between getting up and getting the kids up", rather than "this will make you look good but takes six hours and £3000 to achieve".

Right, over to you. And thank you!

hf128219 Fri 30-Oct-09 16:07:00

Dry Shampoo is a busy mum's best friend.

cakeywakey Fri 30-Oct-09 16:10:38

Just have a wet cut at the hairdressers - rather than a cut, wash and blow-dry every time - you save time and money, both of which you can then put to good use at the local coffee shop before heading home smile

sweetheart Fri 30-Oct-09 16:18:22

someone who always looked perfect once told me you should match your blusher to your lipstick so now I use vaseline mixed with my blusher as my lipstick and it seems to work.

sweetheart Fri 30-Oct-09 16:19:16

Oh and I find getting your eyebrows waxed instantly improves your face.

StephHaydock Fri 30-Oct-09 16:22:50

Ditch glossy magazines full of six 17 yr olds and look out for other women with your body shape who look good. Then copy their style...

and

Ditch expensive face creams that promise you the earth for 50 quid and try the cheap-as-chips oil cleansing method.

badgermonkey Fri 30-Oct-09 16:28:42

Urban Decay Primer Potion is the best £12 you will ever spend - keeps eye make-up on all day, and then some. Like supergluing eyeshadow on!

cakeywakey Fri 30-Oct-09 16:54:29

Take your cleanser off with a muslin cloth dipped in hot water. Much more thorough than cotton wool.

CybilLiberty Fri 30-Oct-09 17:00:09

Blusher (preferably cream) is the sleep deprived woman's bestest friend

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 17:00:46

I second the Urban Decay Primer Potion rec.

Also, mascara and a bit of blusher can make you look as if you've made an effort, when in fact, you haven't really!

cocolepew Fri 30-Oct-09 17:02:34

Don't buy a 7x magnified mirror.

You'll just cry.

CybilLiberty Fri 30-Oct-09 17:04:34

Carry lippy with you WHEREVER you go people.

Don't ever buy a baby changing bag, go for a stylish 'normal ' bag instead

CybilLiberty Fri 30-Oct-09 17:05:36

Sorry to be a killjoy, but don't most women know all this stuff already? hmm

hf128219 Fri 30-Oct-09 17:07:47

Judging by most of the women I see in the park I would say no.

CybilLiberty Fri 30-Oct-09 17:10:53

well, perhaps they don't act on it but every magazine, every newpaper is full of advice on this that and t'other

cakeywakey Fri 30-Oct-09 17:15:46

I stopped reading magazines (couldn't justify the £) so only read the paper now - which doesn't contain that much info.

I look up a lot of stuff online, but it's nice to hear from other people - it's not all beauty editor waffle then, more Mum with waffle stuck to elbow IYSWIM smile

Amandoh Fri 30-Oct-09 17:16:48

Use whitening toothpaste and a hard nail brush to help whiten your nails. This is also handy for fake tan accidents.

Nivea Sun Kissed Skin Firming Body Lotion is a miracle in a bottle! I use it on my face at night (Saw this tip in Red Magazine) and my skin looks lovely in the morning. I look like I've had a lot more sleep than I've actually had and my skin definitely looks more taut and lifted.

cocolepew Fri 30-Oct-09 17:18:52

Fake tan all year round. In the winter you can just do your face and arms though grin

dittany Fri 30-Oct-09 17:19:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Fri 30-Oct-09 17:19:34

Don't buy an epilator.

It will just make you cry.

AlaskaNebraska Fri 30-Oct-09 17:20:12

hand cream - as good as hair serum

cream blush - perks oyu right up ( do you want brands?)

erm... hjeggings no tucking in jeans all day

get jeans the right lenght

SorciereAnna Fri 30-Oct-09 17:20:32

Apply yourself to learning to DIY all the jobs that a beautician does - you will save yourself a fortune over a lifetime and doing beauty treatments while caring for small children simultaneously is a doddle, so you can be a Good Mummy and gorgeous at the same time.

However, I very much advise against any form of DIY hairdressing. Some things are just better left to professionals. If you don't have much money, spend it on a cut and good shampoo and learn to style your own hair.

AlaskaNebraska Fri 30-Oct-09 17:20:39

get your colours done - i know it sounds crap but you will hasve to sulkily accpet balck is on the whole for undertakers

SorciereAnna Fri 30-Oct-09 17:21:52

Use an electric toothbrush twice a day and use Elgydium toothpaste - the combination makes your teeth whiter and brighter than any other, and it is cheap.

cocolepew Fri 30-Oct-09 17:23:20

Dye your hair if it's meh.
Vaseline around hairline to stop drips.
Old dressing gown to save clothes.
10 minute one to save time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now