Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ, any chance you can get rid of the Cbeebies ad with the waving children

(17 Posts)
MmeGoblindt Sun 25-Oct-09 13:32:32

They are very irritating. I am trying to read a thread and they are just there waving at me all the time.

PoisonToadstool Sun 25-Oct-09 13:33:44

It is the most irritating thing I have ever seen on Mumsnet.

Never seen them.

MmeGoblindt Sun 25-Oct-09 13:35:15

They are there ==========>

Can you not see them.

Waving

FlamingoBingo Sun 25-Oct-09 13:36:00

Have you got an adblocker, trickortreaters?

I don't ever see them either, but then I don't see any ads at all.

I think my Kasperski anti virus stuff blocks them out.

MmeGoblindt Sun 25-Oct-09 13:38:18

Actually, I have just noticed that all the ads are flashing and moving today. I have just logged on. They did not always do that, did they?

ABitHaloweenBatty Sun 25-Oct-09 13:42:34

Mine has changed to cravematernity advert today. Gone are those pesky kids grin

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 25-Oct-09 16:57:28

Hello
Those kids must have RSI
I'll find out when it's due to come off.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sun 25-Oct-09 17:00:00

Oh please, please, get rid of them. I have a little pot of drawing pins on my desk and I am having fantasies about poking them in the boy's eyes.

I am usually quite a peaceful person, honestly.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Oct-09 07:48:57

Message withdrawn

WebDude Tue 27-Oct-09 12:21:06

I'd suggest people try using Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) and then in the add-ons you can browse for an advert blocker.

I personally don't allow Flash to run on all my PCs. Only one has it installed (and there's an add-on for Firefox which blocks Flash from running, unless you click on it - just displays a letter "F" to show where something is blocked).

I have today been using a friend's PC and finally (after weeks of seeing complaints) seen the annoying advert. Can understand that MN would not be in a very clear position to turn down ads, but perhaps MNHQ can give CBeebies "feedback" in the strongest terms that many users of the website have complained because they find this "animated" advert far more annoying than any other...

At least give some feedback that allows CBeebies to know it was seen but hated by many. Other websites have sometimes acted to remove such "animated" ads, when complaints are received, but the last time I saw a response from MNHQ was that it was "cute" and "only on for a month".

Well, however "cute", if it annoys readers, they will act to block not just that advert, but ALL adverts (eg placing ads1.mumsnet.com in a "blocked sites" list, so nothing from there will display, if they are tech savvy).

WebDude Tue 27-Oct-09 16:57:57

There's a thread in AIBU about the advert - I've put a few web addresses into my post to show how to get Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) and various advert blocking add-ons that are free to use.

fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Tue 27-Oct-09 17:02:25

post it note on top works well

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Oct-09 11:22:45

Message withdrawn

MmeGoblindt Wed 28-Oct-09 20:32:48

Lol at the techy explanation followed by the low tech post it stuck on the screen.

I agree with Webdude actually. It is not a very effective ad if posters are installing ad blockers to avoid seeing it. I am considering doing that as there are more and more animated ads and I find them really distracting.

WebDude Thu 29-Oct-09 12:07:26

"more and more animated ads" another reason for me is that I don't like "noisy" ads.

I often have internet radio playing, so find some nasty advert noise on top to be a pain, but at other times, for example, 3am, it is a more unpleasant annoyance if sound comes out at full blast, potentially annoying waking the neighbours (yes, I have some big speakers and do sometimes 'crank it up') or others in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now