Talk

Advanced search

members online

(9 Posts)
fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Sat 17-Oct-09 23:57:07

I have seen other forums heard that on some forums you can see how many member or guests are online at the bottom of the page.
Can Mumsnet introduce this, so I know when there or loads of people to answer my crazy ramblings intelligent questions or so I can see there is noone here and can go to bed?!

fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Sat 17-Oct-09 23:58:06

*are not or

emkana Sat 17-Oct-09 23:58:16

I think you'll find that MNers are opposed to change, and a suggestion like this has proved unpopular in the past. Personally, I prefer not being "seen" if I don't want to be.

Morosky Sat 17-Oct-09 23:58:49

You would also know when everyone is ignoring you though.

fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Sun 18-Oct-09 00:01:21

I dont mean have the members names on view just

'there are 1,234,648 members and 2 guests online'

nannynick Sun 18-Oct-09 10:25:41

Running scripts to calculate those numbers such that the numbers were displayed on every page view may be rather server time consuming. I don't know for sure how Online Now figures are produced but it's got to involve some server time. I doubt it is worth while producing such a figure on a per-page view basis. May be something that could be displayed on a Technical Info page, which only got calculated when that Tech Info page was viewed.
Could take Tech team a while to create though and I'm sure they have a rather long To-Do List.

According to a 2009 presentation Mumsnet has 16 million monthly page views - 850,000
monthly visits (I presume that is unique visitors) - 20,000 posts a day.

I suspect the web servers have enough trouble displaying 16 million pages a month, without the added burden of calculating number of members vs guests online at any given time.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 10:32:53

Yeah, we are all here 24x7 and can confirm we are just ignoring your posts wink

Seriously, do we really need this? There is always someone watching, even if it's only the MN duty person there to delete all our libelous wit posts.

nannynick Sun 18-Oct-09 10:35:29

To find out how busy Mumsnet is, try using Last 15 Minutes. When mumsnet is busy, there will be lots of posts. When it's in a quite stage then there won't be many.
It only shows posts, rather than views... but does give some indication of how busy mumsnet is at any particular time.

FlightAttendant Sun 18-Oct-09 10:42:15

Fruits there is always SOMEONE here and it won't make any difference if you sit screaming at your PC 'I know you are here!!! Answer me fgs!!' grin

those type of things are only any use really on tiny, boring and little used forums that regularly have nobody present all day except on whitsun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now