Talk

Advanced search

What do the mumsnet smiley's really mean to you?

(11 Posts)
DungeonButter Thu 15-Oct-09 21:36:34

Inspired by a mumsnetter's used of a passive aggressive smile the other evening.

(sorry don't remember who but i think it was the troll/mn awards thread) that i assume got deleted.

I sometimes use hmm when i mean [ohdofuckoff]

or wink when i mean, [iknowit'seasytomisinterpretwhatpeoplearesayingonlinewithoutfacialexpressionortoneofvoicebutpleasebe lievemeiamteasingyouinafriendlyway]

what do you mean?

Hassled Thu 15-Oct-09 21:42:08

hmm definately means fuck right off.
[] is usually I think that post is funny. But sometimes it's code for I'm trying to be funny.
And you're right re wink.
[] is I may sound like I'm being a bitch but that's really not the spirit in which it was meant.

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Thu 15-Oct-09 21:43:33

hmm

grin

Ladyatron Thu 15-Oct-09 21:43:42

i hate them all and particularly despise the hmm one.

DungeonButter Thu 15-Oct-09 21:44:13

very good hassled.

MonstrousMerryHenry Thu 15-Oct-09 21:44:51

Hmm. I come from the Arnie Schwarzeneggar School of Expression.

I use angry when I am angry.

I use shock when I am shocked.

I use blush whenever I recall Clive James' words, that Arnie is like a brown condom filled with walnuts.

MonstrousMerryHenry Thu 15-Oct-09 21:45:31

I think that sounded funnier in my head.

DungeonButter Thu 15-Oct-09 21:47:12

but this envy is the only expression arnold schwboredcan'tbebotheredtospellitproperly ever does. without the green though.

UndercoverMuseumWorker Thu 15-Oct-09 21:51:02

hmm doesn't always mean fuck right off. Most of the time yeah, but I've just used it in a non-fuck right off way

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Thu 15-Oct-09 21:54:01

hmm can also mean what the fuck?

DungeonButter Thu 15-Oct-09 22:05:10

true. it can be a polite, 'do continue cause it's not making much sense right now'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now