Talk

Advanced search

Parents to be sanctioned for children's behaviour in school: your thoughts please!

(12 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Sep-09 16:08:12

Hello.

3Counties Radio have asked us to find out what you all think about Ed Balls' announcement today that all parents in England will be given a leaflet warning them they are responsible for their children's behaviour, and that sanctions may be brought against them - including the use of parenting orders - if they fail to control their children's behaviour.

You can read more about the story here

Your thoughts?

mrspnut Wed 30-Sep-09 16:19:02

Too many people bleat on about their rights but seem to think they can pass their responsibilities on to someone else.

I think that a much greater emphasis should be placed on responsibilities, not just of parents but also of children. They have to be responsible for their actions along with their parent's or it will just become another way to pass the buck.

TheCrackFox Wed 30-Sep-09 16:22:56

Will it be as successful as ASBOs? Because they don't work either.

cazboldy Wed 30-Sep-09 16:24:25

I think that if we are all going to be responsible for the way they behave at school, then we need to be able to have some input on rules and punishments. IME some are too lenient, and some are to excessive, but as everyone thinks diferently, this could be a problem.

Also communication between school and parents is vital.

whoops Wed 30-Sep-09 16:29:13

my ds is dispruptive in class, I have been trying everything I can to try and stop him, the school try measures too but he still finds ways to play up and cause trouble. If it came to me being held responsible I would not be happy as I am trying all I can but he has his own mind and doesn't seem to be making an effort to change.

Even though he is 8 he knows that if he has done something wrong all he has to say is something along the lines of he going to get beaten when he gets home and ss will be called taking the pressure off him as he has done this before angry sad [don't know what else to do]

RustyBear Wed 30-Sep-09 16:29:49

I agree that communication is vital,and obviously the rules & punishments would have to be made clear to parents choosing a particular school but I can't see that input on rules from parents would work - you only have to look at a few education discussions on MN to see that you'd never get a consensus....

Simplistica Wed 30-Sep-09 16:39:18

1. It is essnetial that children with a diagnosed Sn be exempt.

2. It is equally esential that any child where there is even a tinyt question over SN existence be offered assessment than the aprents punished- ATM some schools are very resistant to intervention.

3. There needs to be some recognition in the system that parents also go through trauma- for examle if a child is struggling badly becuase a parent ahs died, offlaoding that onto the other parents is not a solution.

4. Some parents do try masively with no results. It's against fashion to say that, nevertheless it is true for a minority of cases.

If thsoe things are provided for, that will leave the don't-give-a-damn arents and I would have no issues with that then

cazboldy Wed 30-Sep-09 16:40:07

but if you are responsible for enforcing them shouldn't you have a say?

hullygully Wed 30-Sep-09 16:43:39

About time we had a crackdown. The fabric of society is rent about our ears and we all stand back and say nothing.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Sep-09 16:44:15

Thank you all. Most helpful.

Except that they only went and asked us about working mums instead...

cazboldy Wed 30-Sep-09 16:46:39

hah

not much to go on then...... grin

boolifooli Wed 30-Sep-09 17:03:44

I think the best way to tackle this problem is to intervene early into families that such children are likely to be coming into school from. Some children start reception lacking many of the basic social skills that make functioning in a school setting possible or rewarding. Get to the source early, it will save a lot of time and money in the long run and avoid these children being largely destined to fail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now