Talk

Advanced search

Will MNHQ delete posts if anyone asks them to?

(15 Posts)
Winehouse Mon 17-Aug-09 09:05:39

The 'What we think..' thread has touched on this and I asked a question there on Saturday which hasn't been answered.

If anyone on here is not happy with their posts remaining on the site now that the goalposts have moved, will you delete their posts if they ask you to?

If people supply you with their posting names, assuming people may have namechanged occasionally, can you just delete all posts by the names concerned?

lljkk Mon 17-Aug-09 09:06:27

I wondered how it works, too, how do they decide what / when to delete.

Winehouse Mon 17-Aug-09 09:11:13

Well, I know that some posters have had all their posts deleted. A search for some of the old names will show 'message withdrawn' for every post they made, so it must be possible.

Do they have to go through every single message or is there an override button (surely there must be)?

Winehouse Mon 17-Aug-09 09:15:06

Elliott is discussing this same point on the other thread, I notice.

Winehouse Mon 17-Aug-09 17:31:59

Any answer yet?

FioFioFio Tue 18-Aug-09 09:08:45

If mine are deleting i would rather instead of message withdrawn it said

out dancing

or similar

FioFioFio Tue 18-Aug-09 09:09:13

deleted even blush

Hassled Tue 18-Aug-09 09:12:27

I think there has to be a pretty good reason. I can't randomly take exception to something someone says and insist on its removal, for example, but if I posted something very personal, or which might identify me in RL and then regretted it, I'm sure they would take pity.

Where all posts by a person have been removed, there would be very exceptional circumstances - the case I'm thinking of involved RL stalking and harrassment, etc.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 18-Aug-09 09:15:08

I asked for some of my posts to be deleted and was told no.

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 18-Aug-09 09:15:35

I'd rather they didn't! Someone insulted me on a thread the other day and someone else reported it - with the best of intentions I hasten to add - and it was deleted... but I don't WANT 'personal attacks' on me deleted. I'd rather they stand! I can take it! I'm not bothered by the nastiness of total strangers. It makes me feel like MNHQ are patting me on the back and going "there, there, sweetheart, we won't let the nasty man upset you."

Bugger that! Let bitchyness stand and everyone see the person for what they are! I for one can take care of myself on the anonymous internet!!!

I think mnhq should ask the person who is being 'attacked' or insulted whether they want it removed.

Because, you see, deleting it from the screen didn't delete it from my mind! I still know what was said! And if I hadn't seen it - I'd be more bothered by wondering what had been said, iyswim!!

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 18-Aug-09 09:16:25

oh. you are talking about your own posts. blush sorry. Not awake yet. As you were...

JodieO Tue 18-Aug-09 09:18:41

If they've done it for one then they should do for anyone that asks imo.

Hassled Tue 18-Aug-09 09:19:05

That one made me laugh, Hecate - the Swine Flu nutter who called you a "think Pagan (sic)"? Yes, it was such an entertainingly ridiculous insult it should have been preserved, plus in fairness to the nutter we had all been calling him/her a loon for some considerable time.

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 18-Aug-09 09:49:34

Yes. Without it, my reply looks a bit odd grin Thankfully it's repeated by other posters.

I just feel very strongly that I don't need protecting from words on a bloody screen! <glares at mnhq> grin

LadyStColumb Tue 18-Aug-09 13:48:12

Perhaps, rather than giving MN all of the work to do regarding deletions, Tech could create an option if someone actually deregisters along the lines of 'delete all posts'.

Not that many people actually deregister from MN as opposed to just reducing their posting so as a function it probably wouldnt be used much. If they do de-reg then there is normally a reason and deleting their entire history may be valid.

Normal individual posts to be deleted could continue as they currently do.

FWIW I dont imagine many people would choose to delete their entire history but this would be a way to legitimately address those concerned with their back histories. They would lose thier nickname by de-reging so if it meant a lot to them they'd need to weigh up their actions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now