Talk

Advanced search

I'm sorry to do this, I'm sure if I read 2000+ posts I would understand but please could someone explain the DM business to me

(121 Posts)
georgimama Fri 14-Aug-09 21:04:47

Because I thought the DM was a paper we loved to post links to in order to take the piss at its general dreadfulness, particularly the way its editor hates women.

And now it seems there is some sort of tie in? Do they not understand irony?

Is that what is going on? And if so, who thought this was a good idea?

FlamingoBingo Fri 14-Aug-09 21:05:47

Marking place - I want to know too! I tried reading the thread earlier but ran out of time.

stubbyfingers Fri 14-Aug-09 21:06:47

Thanks georgi - I couldn't find the first thread and don't know what the other one's on about!

georgimama Fri 14-Aug-09 21:08:53

Neither do I. Been off line for a couple of days and all this happens, and as you say, 2nd thread appears to be very much in the thick of it and I can't make sense of it.

Last thread I posted on I was being accused of being a mysoginist (!!) in true militant MN fashion, which I love, and suddenly it's gone all Femail. I shudder, I tell you, and I read the telegraph.

fishie Fri 14-Aug-09 21:09:39

the journalist and the dm thought it was a good idea, so they did it. nobody asked mntowers and it was left to posters to realise what it might mean, ie threads featuring subjects easily identifiable in rl appearing in dm.

also there was a very unfortunate attribution of a thread to the wrong poster, who has been really upset.

SammyK Fri 14-Aug-09 21:11:16

Yes can someone please give me a quick version of proceedings? Am lost and don't have time to wade through an already long thread. Has MNHQ had to give permission for DM to do this?

SammyK Fri 14-Aug-09 21:13:10

thanks fishie

are DM allowed to do this then? have MNHQ commented on it on any of the earlier threads?

stubbyfingers Fri 14-Aug-09 21:14:19

Can anyone link to the original thread please?

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Fri 14-Aug-09 21:16:46

original thread

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Fri 14-Aug-09 21:18:26

A journalist who is a well known (if you were here several years ago) ex-mumsnetter (although apparently after she left last time she came back under another name, so also a less well known current mumsnetter) has started a "On Mumsnet This Week" column in the DM.

This is intended to be a regular weekly column.

Neither the journalist nor the DM asked MNHQ about this.

The most recent column focused on a thread where the OP was by sweetness follows, who has just been sacked for being pregnant.

As a side issue, in the midst of the cutting and pasting the Daily Mail attributed the OP to Thunderduck who is not pregnant, indeed is struggling with fertility issues, and was mightily pissed off to find a national newspaper announcing her pregnancy (as she is Thunderduck on a number of different boards all over the internet).

As a wider issue, posts on Mumsnet have now moved from "be careful what you write, because it's the Internet and anyone could, potentially, read it" to "be very careful what you write, because each week one random thread will be published in a national newspaper". Many people do not like this.

There is much ongoing discussion about whether MNHQ can do anything about this and also whether they should.

And some of us have changed our posting names in the belief that the DM is unlikely to attribute any posts to posters with screen names like mine.

SammyK Fri 14-Aug-09 21:23:24

That is shite poor Thunderduck.

I know cutting and pasting is a very technical journalism technique at DM towers but you would think they would manage to avoid such a royal f**k up! hmm

Like the name change tactic may well do that. grin

georgimama Fri 14-Aug-09 21:26:10

Oh for fucks sake. I'm sorry MN Towers but are you completely toothless? I know this is your bunting cupcakes little business at the bottom of the garden, but surely you can afford a couple of hours of a barrister's time to advise you on this? Most of the ones I instruct act for free half the time.

That's it, I'm changing my name to PaulDacreEatsBabies. They won't quote from me.

stubbyfingers Fri 14-Aug-09 21:27:26

Thanks y'all.
What a load of shitbags! (DM not yous lot obv)

PaulDacreEatsBabies Fri 14-Aug-09 21:31:04

Has it worked?

PaulDacreEatsBabies Fri 14-Aug-09 21:31:55

Oh good.

Heated Fri 14-Aug-09 21:35:43

So who was the old MNer who 'writes' for the DM? Or is that secret info?

PaulDacreEatsBabies Fri 14-Aug-09 21:36:58

Hell no, out her. Anyone know? I mean, we know her DM name from the column, but what was her posting name?

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Fri 14-Aug-09 21:37:56

Message withdrawn

EachPeachPearMum Fri 14-Aug-09 21:40:27

Message withdrawn

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Fri 14-Aug-09 21:43:58

Well I may not be the most prolific poster but I'm not impressed at this.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Fri 14-Aug-09 22:05:56

LIZS posted a beautifully succinct summary:

"DM are running a column in its weekly Femail section, 2nd of which appeared yesterday, written by a (former?) Mnetter. 1st column was about a thread from a few months back re. fake tans , yesterday's a verbatim extract of a very recent thread regarding potential employment issue due to pg with limited editorial comment - op incorrectly attributed to another poster who is ttc.

Subsequent thread(s) raises issues of compromising the anonymity of the op in a specific sensitive situation, whether MN should be associated with DM officailly or in this instance apparently unofficially, unsolicited and without prior consultation, and whether DM has breeched MN copyright in doing so and the privacy of posters (as far as it is ever private on an open internet forum)."

I'm sure she won't mind me copying and pasting it verbatim!

Heated Fri 14-Aug-09 22:15:49

I'm forever sullied - have now put the DM is 'favourites' <cough splutter>

blueshoes Fri 14-Aug-09 22:36:37

That's a great summary. Saves me a lot of time.

How about this journalist's current mumsnet name. Are we allowed to know?

Rindercella Fri 14-Aug-09 22:41:26

Hmm, not sure that she has outed herself yet blueshoes. But please, if I have missed it and she has, can someone please let me know so I can avoid her at all costs?

HerBeatitude Fri 14-Aug-09 22:43:03

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now