Talk

Advanced search

Name availability

(88 Posts)
DidEinsteinsMum Fri 07-Aug-09 09:00:37

If i name change does the old name become available for other people to use?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 07-Aug-09 09:40:52

The man from the shed, he says yes.

chablis Fri 07-Aug-09 09:42:18

NO! Surely that's not right - when we change for 'festive' names we can always go back to old names??? [look of horror icon] shock

savoycabbage Fri 07-Aug-09 09:43:52

Ohhhh! So someone could race in and swipe your 'real' name if you are using a comedy or festive one!!! This cannot be!

DidEinsteinsMum Fri 07-Aug-09 09:45:33

sad i was hoping on a breif change but that has changed it all....sad

Flamesparrow Fri 07-Aug-09 09:47:50

<looks suspiciously at Geraldine>

Methinks the man from the shed needs sacking unless the rules have suddenly changed...

flowerybeanbag Fri 07-Aug-09 09:49:35

Nooooo! I thought all the names I have changed to were officially 'bagsed' by me forever! So when I am flowerytaleofNewYork at Christmas, someone else could become flowerybeanbag?

Flamesparrow Fri 07-Aug-09 09:49:40

It would be mayhem if the rules HAVE changed.

Say I decided to swipe Hunkermunker when she is being Hunkeratesomemouldybread or something, then all posts I make would be stored as the same person who made all her previous ones. I could support nestle and make her old posts completely pointless.

flowerybeanbag Fri 07-Aug-09 09:50:32

<<panics>> Someone could give out duff advice in my name!

IdrisTheDragon Fri 07-Aug-09 09:52:49

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Or is it just that no ones ever wanted one of my cast offs?

Flamesparrow Fri 07-Aug-09 09:53:32

Ooooh <plots oodles of HR type advice >

Yes Jemima672, it is perfectly legal to insist that you wear no bra and a very thin blouse to work every second Tuesday. You don't have a leg to stand on and if you complain you will Never Work Again.

This could be fun

VinegarTits Fri 07-Aug-09 09:53:46

shock this is not right, there can only be one VinegarTits, you cannot allow someone to nick my name if i namechange for a day

Please send my complaint form to the man in the shed

TrillianAstra Fri 07-Aug-09 09:54:09

Is it the first of April today or something?

flowerybeanbag Fri 07-Aug-09 09:56:15

ROFL at flame grin grin

MollieO Fri 07-Aug-09 09:56:35

Geraldine could you ask BigTech rather than your local handyman? grin

PortAndLemon Fri 07-Aug-09 09:56:57

Has the man from the shed been indulging in any psychoactive substances recently?

flowerybeanbag Fri 07-Aug-09 09:57:45

I think someone should test it.

<<sits firmly on hands not volunteering to temporarily give up name but hoping someone else will>>

IdrisTheDragon Fri 07-Aug-09 09:58:12

No I think it's all right as I just tried to be flowerytaleofnewyork and it told me it was already taken

VinegarTits Fri 07-Aug-09 09:59:15

This is an outrage, i demand answers (can i bribe you buy my name?)

Furball Fri 07-Aug-09 09:59:37

But why would MN have auctioned off old names, if you could have just used them anyway?

Me thinks the man in the shed is wrong. I bet he's like my dh when I call out a question, he just says yes willy nilly without listening to the question!

flowerybeanbag Fri 07-Aug-09 10:01:36

He must be wrong mustn't he? Idris has proved it I reckon.

<<slows heart rate back down>>

TrillianAstra Fri 07-Aug-09 10:02:41

I thought the auction was names that people had registered, but never posted under, and agreed to give up. Or something. If you've ever left a post under a name it's yours and safe.

flowerybeanbag Fri 07-Aug-09 10:04:28

Ooh, in that case I need some clarification. I namechanged to a different name to 'reserve' it because I didn't want anyone else to have it, but never actually posted in it. Does that mean someone could pinch that one?

flowerybeanbags Fri 07-Aug-09 10:05:31

See, I think it should be tightened up, because everyone would think I am flowerybeanbag, and I'm not.

tattybojangles Fri 07-Aug-09 10:05:33

it can't be true because I tried to be Tattiebojangles (with an ie rather than a y) and it wouldn't let me even though no one has posted under that name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now