Talk

Advanced search

Where has the nappy section gone?

(80 Posts)
Octothechildherder Tue 04-Aug-09 21:22:31

Tis just potty training now? Have I missed something? Thanks

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Aug-09 21:36:30

Yes, we have removed the nappies section from Mumsnet Talk because it was being used so extensively for buying and selling, rather than general discussions about nappies.

We were getting daily complaints from nappy sellers who'd paid to take out Small Business Ads and were, quite rightly, feeling aggrieved.

If you'd like to buy and sell nappies, please use the special section for that in For Sale/Wanted

If you'd like to discuss nappies without buying and selling, please use our Products Topic

Octothechildherder Tue 04-Aug-09 21:39:32

With all due respect, the last time I checked Lollipop (me) was the only seller and I haven't complained.

We have paid for an advert and now there is no section. Please respond to my email.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Aug-09 21:45:15

We have responded smile

Octothechildherder Tue 04-Aug-09 21:54:06

Ditto

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 04-Aug-09 23:28:15

This is really disappointing - where can we put questions about general things to do with nappies rather than about specific products?

Octothechildherder Tue 04-Aug-09 23:38:08

sad Really sad - have been a cloth nappy user for 8 years and worked in the cloth nappy business for 5 years - this is a huge step backwards.

JennyPenny22 Wed 05-Aug-09 13:19:41

What is going to happen to the cloth nappy general discussion thread?

I am really dissapointed that the nappy section has gone.

The nappy bit was my main interest here and occassionally went into other topics "while I was here".

I know a lot of people will go else where now. It is very sad.

Would it not have been better just to ask people to stop selling/buying on there?

I have bought and sold there but as i have never seeen anything to ask us to stop I assumed MN we Ok with it. One message asking nicely to stop would have sent me to the for sale boards.

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 14:05:20

Poor show.

A few mums sticking a £2.50 wrap in an envelope is hardly a market place.

Sad day when the needs of the advertisers outweighs the social and educational value of mumsnet.

VERY short sighted of the nappy sellers out there too, I am never more likely to buy a nappy from a website, than when I have discussed it and got interested about it after chatting on mn.

The thread generates business for them.

This sucks. Who is your priority MN, the corporate sellers or the mums who chat?

Thats before we consider the good work the thread has done educating and coaching mums who may have gone to disposables without some advice. The thread has had a positive enviromental impact.

So yeah, Nice work removing the washable nappy title mumsnet. hmm

JustcallmeDog Wed 05-Aug-09 14:08:11

Message withdrawn

rachelinscotland Wed 05-Aug-09 14:38:13

Guess it's not really MUMsnet anymore - but catering to businesses??! hmm Has the point of the board been forgotten? I think just about everyone who was selling/swapping nappies on there were already paying the yearly fee to enable them to post in the classifieds. So not like anyone was trying to get something for free. But we have a lovely group of friends there who like to chat about nappies and on occasions pass them on to each other when not suiting our little ones or outgrown. MOST of the messages were general chat or discussing pros & cons of different nappies, giving advice to new mums (or new to cloth ones), it was the minority of posts that were selling something. AND I assure you none of us were making a business out of it! angry Sometimes even giving things to someone else, or making a loss! So it's all very silly, IMHO!

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 05-Aug-09 14:43:42

Can't see how there is a conflict -- if small business advertisers have been complaining, it seems a bit odd as they would be retailers, and most of those on the General Chat would be selling 2nd hand anyway.

Hardly a huge threat.

Guess the pram thread will be going as well as there's a a lot of trading going on there.

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 14:56:30

Hmm.
As doulas and bf support can also be a private enterprise will there be no more advice given out?
Incase those in business feel their professional enterprise is affected by the exchange of free information?

The whole business of birthing, family and child rearing has a commercial aspect [I do not mean to insult the fine work of doulas, bf advisors, nappy advisors etc, in anyway - I just refer to the process of paying for a service]

MN might be shrinking if we cannot swap advice or tips or products that can be paid for elsewhere!!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Aug-09 14:59:39

Slippery slope to censorship IMO. Are we going to get to the stage where we're only allowed to discuss products that advertise on the site?

MNHQ - are you going to respond to any of the points people are making here?

TheNatty Wed 05-Aug-09 15:02:18

i have been given or bought the odd nappy on the thread, which has then lead to my bulk buying nappies on another site.
so actually it MADE business for some of the companies, alot of the nappies i had never heard of before.

why didnt you just ask us not to do it? i mean seriously is this a major knee jerk reaction or what?

oh and if you are reading this the people who 'compained' did you not THINK about the business generated on such threads?
i mean DUH!

anchovies Wed 05-Aug-09 15:03:42

Wow I am really suprised at the way this has been done! I have never posted on the cloth nappy thread but read it often for new ideas, bargains, reviews etc. Why could there not just have been a message reminding that buying and selling should take place in the classifieds? Bit extreme to remove the whole section!

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 15:08:47

We still have the thread though. It's just wierd it's in 'potty training'.

Maybe the towers were trying to appease the complainers, whilst letting us just get on with it. In which case I would feel slightly better, though I think the complaining companies should get a grip.

But who are the complaining companies? I'd really like to know.....

llareggub Wed 05-Aug-09 15:11:13

I had no idea that real nappies could generate such strong feelings in people.

TheNatty Wed 05-Aug-09 15:11:47

ah tree they wont tell us that

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 15:13:21

llaregrub - we love our fluff grin

we stroke it

afterglow Wed 05-Aug-09 15:13:42

I find this really sad. If it's the buying/selling that's the issue, then could you ask people not to do that rather than taking a more heavy-handed approach?

someoneorother Wed 05-Aug-09 15:16:24

Cloth nappies are all about "reduce, reuse, recycle" as Bob the Builder says. So yes, people who talk about cloth nappies are going to do a lot of swapping etc, some of which will involve small amounts of money changing hands. But ban the talk and the whole community, which is growing, will be damaged, and so will the profits of nappy companies. There are always plenty of people who would not want to put a secondhand nappy on their child.

And, dear Mumsnet, since there don't seem to be any small business advertisers (apart from the one who says she's not complaining and the ones who placed adverts on the thread/category itself), can you explain how they all seem to be complaining?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Aug-09 15:16:58

The problem is though, that now there is nowhere obvious to post general nappy questions. I am only just branching out into different kinds of cloth, having bought a full set when DS was small and used them for a year. The nappy section is where I posted my questions about washing, wet/dry pailing, absorbancy etc. Those kind of questions don't belong in 'Products' because they aren't talking about a specific products.
Since getting info from the nappy section on MN, I've gone off and done some of my own research, and spent about £100 on various new nappies, wraps etc. So it is generating business.

Erm, just looked in small business ads - there are no nappy sellers advertising there, apart from Octo. So is this just a made up reason? I'm really confused now......

TheNatty Wed 05-Aug-09 15:18:30

llareggub i think you will find most people who use them feel very passionate about them

TheNatty Wed 05-Aug-09 15:20:09

dont tots bots advertise on MN too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now