Talk

Advanced search

Can we have a end/close discussion option

(59 Posts)
DidEinsteinsMum Tue 14-Jul-09 14:30:20

Ok, have been wondering about this and suspect that there might be support for this. Can we have a option to stop more posts being added - eg to very old threads or threads that have served their purpose and no longer required but still be required for reference?

Plus when did view profile become contact poster? did i miss something?

2shoes Tue 14-Jul-09 15:09:54

please can we not

Greensleeves Tue 14-Jul-09 15:10:49

whose decision would it be to impose this gagging order?

I'm against.

Tamarto Tue 14-Jul-09 15:13:22

I don't like that idea either.

flowerybeanbag Tue 14-Jul-09 15:17:00

It's sometimes a bit daft when people bump threads from years ago, but you'd get people 'closing the discussion' as soon as people start posting anything they don't want to hear. I had this on a thread a while ago, a perfectly civil and interesting wider discussion had developed but because people were posting points of view that differed from her own, the OP posted saying she was closing the discussion. Of course, no one took a blind bit of notice and carried on debating anyway grin

And view profile isn't contact poster as far as I can tell - if you click on the poster's name or on the yellow battery-tilted-sideways icon, it's view profile, if you click on the envelope, it's CAT.

PinkTulips Tue 14-Jul-09 15:18:59

no way, another site i use lets moderators lock threads and all the good ones get locked down just as the debate gets interesting.

if someone doesn't like what's written on a thread than they can either get involved and state their POV or they can hide the thread... no need for locking to be available.

although, and i've said this before, i wouldn't mind an edit button as i never see my spelling mistakes til i've posted already grin

PinkTulips Tue 14-Jul-09 15:19:58

the battery is supposed to be a book i think flowery... as in 'read about this poster'

BitOfFun Tue 14-Jul-09 15:21:25

AIBU to disagree with this?

No, YANBU.

Thankyou very much

< closes discussion >

flowerybeanbag Tue 14-Jul-09 15:23:52

<<peers closely at the screen>>

Oh I see! Yes you are right PinkTulips, it does appear to be a book. Well you learn something everyday don't you?!

ComeOVeneer Tue 14-Jul-09 15:26:19

NO way. Don't want to read it then don't, just hid the thread.

GarconsSontCommeDesChiens Tue 14-Jul-09 15:36:20

non

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jul-09 15:39:24

I can see the benefits of this in certain circumstances but generally, no I don't think it's a good idea.

scottishmummy Tue 14-Jul-09 15:40:17

as individuals with higher executive functioning and volition the choice to end a discussion is yours.not an arbitrarily imposed gagging order.who would be the MN jury and moderators of good taste?

on open discussion site people will discuss.
not very liberal to say you can discuss dis but not dat

most posts are self regulating.if it is a dog with fleas people can tell

vonsudenfed Tue 14-Jul-09 15:40:20

you do learn something, don't you. I always thought it was a label - like a luggage label around Paddington Bear's neck with a bit about himself. <wrong end of the stick emoticon>

And imagine the fury and havoc you could unleash with a close discussion option -no way!

EldonAve Tue 14-Jul-09 15:40:59

I'm against

DaddyJ Tue 14-Jul-09 15:44:33

Thread closed, hun hugs

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jul-09 15:44:48

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea to lock a discussion that is deteriorating towards deletion.

UnquietDad Tue 14-Jul-09 15:45:52

Wouldn't this be like holding your hand up and saying "End Of"?

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jul-09 15:46:22

We could have a "Talk to the hand" icon.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 14-Jul-09 15:46:41

No thanks

suggesting in the guide bit that people check dates on threads may be wise but making people able to come on, get 3opinions they like then close is a bit off IMO

UnquietDad Tue 14-Jul-09 15:47:11

And a little twirling smiley with a finger - "Go Ricki, Go Ricki"

expatinscotland Tue 14-Jul-09 15:47:40

No, let's not have that option.

I agree with PinkTulips.

MayorNaze Tue 14-Jul-09 15:48:46

"i may not agree with what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it"

or something like that.

mn is fab BECAUSE everyone can say really what they want to. you don't have to read a thread/post if you don't want to!

FromGirders Tue 14-Jul-09 15:51:46

I thought the profile thigy was a clipboard! But yes, it does look like a book.

Tortington Tue 14-Jul-09 15:52:34

called 'hide' button innit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now