Talk

Advanced search

Ever since the Mumsnet TV thing started I keep getting error messages and my screen freezes.

(40 Posts)
Tinker Mon 06-Jul-09 19:41:35

Is it buggering up my computer? I keep having to shut down and start up again. Not every time but enough to notice it's only started happening since the appearance of mntv

southeastastra Mon 06-Jul-09 19:42:12

mntv?

Rhubarb Mon 06-Jul-09 19:42:55

MNTV? Am I on it?

PrincessToadstool Mon 06-Jul-09 19:43:18

It is making pages really slow to load on my iPod. Tres annoying.

Tinker Mon 06-Jul-09 19:45:27

Scroll down page and look on the left - under 'Mumsnet latest'

RustyBear Mon 06-Jul-09 19:48:04

It messes up my iPhone too, because it starts trying to install Flash, which doesn't install on iPhone, so everything takes ages

So if it's going to stay, can we please have the mobile MN soon?

Littlefish Mon 06-Jul-09 20:00:16

That's interesting, because I was getting loads of error messages at the weekend which kept closing mumsnet down. I wondered why that was.

tkband3 Mon 06-Jul-09 20:02:23

I've got a permanent scroll-bar which scrolls up the page as I read it (IYSWIM) - I hadn't thought that it might be linked to the MNTV thing, but it isn't happening on any other websites.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 06-Jul-09 20:09:59

MNTV?

I really don't know what anyones on about and can't make head nor tail of what you mean about the bit under "Mumsnet Latest"

Milliways Mon 06-Jul-09 20:13:31

I think these are what they mean

RustyBear Mon 06-Jul-09 20:17:55

On the extreme right hand side of the screen is a column containing from the top down first a section listing hot discussion topics, then an ad (currently Boden on this page, then a 'Mumsnet latest' box with links to site stuff, under that is a You-tube type video display headed Mumsnet TV, which apparently plays clips from the Discovery channel programme Carrie & Justine made in the Dark Ages 2003.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 06-Jul-09 20:21:57

LOL at the dark ages grin
Sorry to hear about this. I will go and bang on the shed door and see what gives.
Though obviously the appearance of Fonzee live by satellite means I'm too excited busy and important for a bit grin

nannynick Mon 06-Jul-09 20:22:22

My browser (Firefox 3.0.11 Win) keeps saying on the status bar: Transferring data from gouk.brightcove.com...

That is something to do with the MNTV... the player seems to me to be from brightcove.

If Firefox is really transferring data, I'm not sure. I would expect that video data is only sent once the play button is pushed... though it may be buffering data (though that would seem a waste of bandwidth to me). When clicking play... data transferrs from one of the discovery video servers and does buffer - if you click the play then pause, the light grey bar on the video changes to dark grey as the video loads.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 06-Jul-09 20:28:06

RustyBear -thanks, followed your description of screen layout but I've still not got the "YouTube type video display" thingy hmm

How bizarre

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 20:28:29

my pc crahes daily atm

NorbertDentressangle Mon 06-Jul-09 20:30:04

aaah, found it but only on the Threads I'm Watching page

nannynick Mon 06-Jul-09 20:35:50

If it's of help to tech, firebug is showing that 1pix.gif at goku.brightcove.com is being queued for loading last... thus may be why firefox status bar is showing it as Transferring all the time (when in fact it transferred twice 215ms, 222ms).

For those experiencing computer crashes (not iPhone), perhaps try installing latest version of Flash - visit this page.

Littlefish Mon 06-Jul-09 20:58:57

On internet explorer, it's an add-on to do with Flash which is making mine crash.

Tinker Mon 06-Jul-09 21:17:48

Just happened again. A 'Runtime Error' ???

Littlefish Mon 06-Jul-09 21:35:59

I just had one too.

LeninGrad Mon 06-Jul-09 21:36:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Mon 06-Jul-09 22:05:23

If you are able to manipulate the style.css from within the browser, try adding:
visibility:hidden; to .videoOptions

In FireBug that hides the video and video player. But refreshing the content will bring it back again... so not a long term solution.

Littlefish Mon 06-Jul-09 22:10:07

Just crashed again. It's beginning to really annoy me now.

nannynick Mon 06-Jul-09 22:36:41

Why do we have the MumsnetTV on every page within talk? Could there just be the link to Video's Page instead.

LeninGrad Mon 06-Jul-09 22:43:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now