Talk

Advanced search

Any Twitterati about? We need your advice about hashtags

(33 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-09 14:36:11

So we're twotting away happily, but need hashtag help.

Jury seems to be bit divided on their worth, but if you do use them what makes a good hashtag?

It's almost too hot to think in the Towers, so any lucid thoughts gratefully received.

Littlefish Mon 29-Jun-09 14:54:01

What on earth is a "hashtag"?

A new style of handbag?
Something lovely to eat, like risotto?
A new face-cream?

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Jun-09 15:14:44

I still don't understand what hashtags are/are for, despite being a Twitterer, so will follow this thread with much interest!

RubberDuck Mon 29-Jun-09 15:19:39

I don't use them tbh. Twitter search is fairly good anyway. For top level stuff that's towards the top of the Twitter trends I might consider using the relevant hashtag that's popular - just make sure you do use the relevant tag and aren't naughty like Habitat!

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 15:32:26

Well a hashtag is a keyword so for example #musicmonday is trending because twt.fm have music monday

So if you were tweeting about breastfeeding you could write look at our thread on #breastfeeding [tinyurl link]

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Jun-09 15:51:02

MoM - I still don't understand! Why, if I was tweeting about breastfeeding, would I use a hashtag? And what would happen? You can't click on them, can you? It's not like a link is it?

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 15:53:43

have a looky here

RubberDuck Mon 29-Jun-09 15:54:31

Some twitter clients make use of the hashtags and you can click on them just like a link (all they do though is access twitter search on that search term).

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 15:56:40

they are only clickable if they are in the top 10 trending topics. if they are just in a tweet they are not links

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Jun-09 15:57:14

MoM - brilliant! And a great name for a site as well!

<wondering what I can tag in my tweets>

RubberDuck Mon 29-Jun-09 16:01:09

MoM - not true. I use Tweetie and I can click through any hash tag.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-09 17:02:49

Thank you, twitter-literate people

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Jun-09 17:06:10

Pointless fact - one of my cats is called Tweetie!

(Guess what the other one is called?!)

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 17:06:31

lol! not twitter literate (Twitterate?) but had googled the same thing myself a couple of weeks agogrin

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 17:06:53

sylvester?

TheFool Mon 29-Jun-09 17:13:59

I just search for a term, and if it has been # then you find the list of irrelevant things.

But seriously Geraldine... twotting?!?! You would be tweeting

I am intrigued who was bored enough to be doing the lying game on there the other day

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-09 17:19:21

Our juvenile name for tweeting blush. More than my job's worth to reveal who was doing the lying game wink

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Jun-09 17:20:13

That'll be me then, TheFool!

TheFool Mon 29-Jun-09 17:22:07

Lol no BIWI - MNTowers were doing it!!

I have been playing too, but have a 2 second attention span. (trying to remember who you are on my twitter... fairly sure I have you - were you having issues with Noel Fielding?)

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Jun-09 17:23:47

Yes I was.

I didn't see MNHQ doing the lying game - but I am very sad because I was really pleased that my two truths and a lie caught everyone out!

(Who are you on Twitter, btw?)

TheFool Mon 29-Jun-09 17:24:26

Tis Flamesparrow

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 17:25:55

what is this 2 truths and a lie thing? i keep getting sent them

TheFool Mon 29-Jun-09 17:26:51

just guess/know which is the lie out of 3 things. tis like the pointless facebook games

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Jun-09 17:27:20

You see, all this name changing does get very confusing!!!

MoM - you post 3 'facts' about yourself, one of which is a lie, and then this gets sent to all your followers and they have to decide which one is a lie.

Click on the link and it will become apparent!

TheFool Mon 29-Jun-09 17:28:11

Lol sorry - I tend to assume people magically know who I am

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now