Talk

Advanced search

I need help on how to get rid of Spyware .... for free!

(8 Posts)
ghosty Thu 12-May-05 01:44:01

I have spyware on my 'puter, and just found a free downloadable thing called SpyWareVanisher ... does anyone know if this is the real McCoy or something dodgy? I don't want to click 'download' and then find that I have made things worse.
I really don't want to pay for anything ... but understand that I might have to.

Apart from the spyware problem (although it may be connected) I have this seriously annoying HomePage hijack thing going on ... so everytime I turn on the computer I have to reset the homepage to Mumsnet ... It is seriously cramping my style that I can't get MN AS SOON as I go onto the internet!

Cheers ...
G xxx

Chandra Thu 12-May-05 02:09:11

BE careful with freebies, I downloaded one into my computer and it ruined to a point that I cna't even turn it on now. There's a program called Spyboot, is free and is reliable however it eats alot of the virtual memory and makes the computer very slow, a good one is Spyware Doctor, you can download it fromthe web to check the computer but will need to pay a licence to remove the problems you have found. The Homepage highjack is a troy virus, it may be relatively harmlessbut worth checking (don't do internet banking until your PC is clear )

eldestgirl Thu 12-May-05 04:28:23

Spybot is really good.

LeTech Thu 12-May-05 09:15:33

It looks like it SpyWareVanisher may in fact be spyware. Don't install it!

Try Adaware (www.lavasoft.com) it has a free version and I have used it for years.

Try backing up your docs and stuff if you can just in case!

tarantula Thu 12-May-05 09:52:15

Id advise using spybot and adaware in conjunction. We use both at home and I had a long chat with our Network administrator last week and he reckons that you need to use both esp if you have teenagers downloading junk (like I have ggrrrrr)

lemonice Thu 12-May-05 09:56:53

I agree with having both spybot and adaware as I also have annoying teen who is dodgy

ghosty Thu 12-May-05 10:36:34

Thanks everyone ...
Bit scared about what you said about internet banking Chandra ... I only ever do my banking via the internet ... and have had the spyware thing and homepage hijack going on for ages ...
[scared emoticon]

Chandra Thu 12-May-05 23:10:41

Don't worry too much ghosty, I got that advise when somebody saw that everytime I entered something in a box in internet the cursor started to blink like crazy, or when the pointer vibrated while moving it around the screen (I had about 70 spyware when I run the spyboot). I have being checking my bank reports ever since to se if I can find something suspicious and so far everything is fine. I just try to run spyboot before I go into internet banking. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now