ReginaCovington Wed 03-Jun-09 18:38:21

about?

StealthPolarBear Wed 03-Jun-09 18:38:53

What do you mean, sorry?

ReginaCovington Wed 03-Jun-09 18:39:42

open a link from mn
and it says it at the top

StealthPolarBear Wed 03-Jun-09 18:40:49

Do you use INternet Explorer? Is it in the blue bar or on the web page itself?
Can't see it!

onagar Wed 03-Jun-09 18:42:01

Not in IE it doesn't, but perhaps in other browsers?

Do you mean links to MN pages, adverts or posters links?

ReginaCovington Wed 03-Jun-09 18:42:31

no if you say look at this wiht [[ ]]

then

silverfrog Wed 03-Jun-09 18:45:44

it does happen in IE.

I've noticed it on links I click on too, and idly wondered what it was about

Hulababy Wed 03-Jun-09 18:52:28

Syas it on my IE too. Doesn't appear in address bar but appears on the tab - so on the IE that lets you open a number of tabs within the same IE window.

onagar Wed 03-Jun-09 18:59:23

www.redirectingat.com/

Okay it was going to fast to see, but this is the link you can see yes?

It's some kind of advertising deal apparently

EachPeachPearMum Wed 03-Jun-09 19:31:09

Its bloody crap is what it is- always down, very slow, a bit of a nightmare <<glares at tech>>
Is it to save server space or something?
or is it an income generator?
I'd rather pay a higher subscription tbh

southeastastra Wed 03-Jun-09 19:33:50

don't like it either! what is it! i demand to know grin

PlumBumMum Wed 03-Jun-09 19:37:26

Yeap I've only noticed it today, keep getting my pop up blocker now [grr]

StealthPolarBear Wed 03-Jun-09 19:38:05

I still don't get it - know the sort of thing you mean though, I think. I thought it was a virus type thing when I had one - had to go and delete a system file
For the record - do NOT go and delete our system files - it will likely fix this problem but leave you with others

southeastastra Wed 03-Jun-09 19:40:33

argh from that link it's a way of them to watch and monitor us! shock

daily mail must be very pleased with the amount of hits grin

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Jun-09 20:47:35

Hello. This sounds most mystifying.

Will see what if the Techs can shed any light in the morning...

nannynick Wed 03-Jun-09 20:58:31

Can you post details of a particular link it is happening on, as I can't see it happening in Firefox.

nannynick Wed 03-Jun-09 21:14:16

Ah I see it now... it is a redirection service for publishers. When a link is posted on mumsnet within a message thread, when that link is clicked it is being phrased by http://redirectingat.com/go.php

Redirectingat.com appears to be part of http://skimbit.com/ More details can be found on their promotion website: http://skimlinks.com/

If it means tha Mumsnet gets more income without effecting user experience than it's fine. If however it effects user experience, then perhaps not so good.

Surprised that HelenMumsnet isn't aware of this, as it must have been discussed at a MNHQ meeting... or is someone at MNHQ making these decisions without consulting you Helen?

nannynick Wed 03-Jun-09 21:26:21

Looking at the Skimlinks FAQ, it can be removed quite simply, so if the experiment (I assume it is an experiment) is not successful then Mumsnet Tech can remove it.

I feel we all need to remember that we do not pay to use Mumsnet. Mumsnet must need quite a bit of income these days to keep operating and thus I am not surprised that Mumsnet is looking at and testing various advertising income generation methods.

When users like myself post links to other sites, in the past Mumsnet does not make any money if someone clicks the link and then purchases something from that company. The skimlinks system looks to me to be trying to solve that issue, by creating an affiliate link when possible.

If Mumsnet stopped us from posting our own links to other sites I feel that would devalue the usefulness of Mumsnet as a place to provide Parents with information. So having Skimlinks in place may be the price we pay for being unrestricted in our ability as users to link to other sites.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 03-Jun-09 22:18:41

erm Nannynick- all of us who subscribe do pay...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Jun-09 22:30:16

NannyNick: sadly, I am but a humble MNHQ minion. The big cheeses often - and quite rightly - take decisions without consulting me!

EachPeach: if you're talking about subscribing to our CAT service, that's true. But the Mumsnet discussion boards are free for all to use.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 04-Jun-09 12:42:46

shock Surely HelenMumsnet everyone subscribes, no?

wink

I am personally of the opinion that if you enjoy something as obsessively much as I enjoy mn, then it's only polite to donate something to its upkeep- eg wikipedia, OSF, etc- cost per use is ummm infinitesimal blush, and you need only contribute what you can afford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now