Talk

Advanced search

Is there anyone else here who hadn't realised how to search a thread

(13 Posts)
Hulababy Fri 22-Apr-05 21:35:51

Thanks to Bubbly (I think???) on another thread for highlighting it.

Crtl and F - brings up the standard MS find application. Type in what you want to look for in a single thread, press enter - and there you are!

Thanks again.

Can't believe I hadn't thought of being able to do that!

SPARKLER1 Fri 22-Apr-05 21:40:23

I've just come on here to start the same thread myself.
What I want to know is are there any other shortcuts I could learn about.
TIA x

SPARKLER1 Fri 22-Apr-05 22:41:24

hmmm? hmmm?

Hulababy Fri 22-Apr-05 22:41:58

Obviously it was just us two who didn't know!!!

BigGayDad Fri 22-Apr-05 22:43:04

New to me too thank you

Fimbo Fri 22-Apr-05 22:43:15

Me neither.

melsy Fri 22-Apr-05 22:44:41

new too me too, been using it last half hour now !!!

hub2dee Sat 23-Apr-05 06:55:47

There are loads of shortcuts which will improve your experience of surfing the Net, and your speed at navigating between and through pages...

If you look in your browser's help file there is usually a section called 'Keyboard Shortcuts.'

They are especially useful in a tabbed browser (this is something that lets you have LOADS of MN windows open but they only take the space of one window on the screen. You access them by clicking on little tabs at the top. You can whizz through messages this way, or have the original message you're replying to in one tab and the text your composing in another).

Try CTRL L (or APPLE L) for starters. It'll select the text in the address bar ready for you to enter a new destination.

CTRL F (APPLE F) as posted above finds text. But then try CTRL G which will find the next occurence for you.

ESCAPE stops a rather long or stalled page loading.

And of course CTRL R (APPLE R) Refreshes or Reloads the page you are looking at (saves you clicking 'refresh this thread' in frenzied excitement).

There are many others, but I would say those are the most common. There are shortcut keys to navgiate around a tabbed browser (jump to the tab to the left / right) etc. but if you have a google or look at your helpfil they'll be loads of info.

PS - Everyone should learn the shortcut to cut and paste text, of course. CTRL or APPLE C and V are the usual keys.

flamesparrow Sat 23-Apr-05 09:10:19

That would have made my life sooooooooooooo much easier the other day

Must learn more pootah skills... I only recently learnt ctrl + v

hub2dee Sat 23-Apr-05 09:25:49

I fyou use Windows, flamesparrow, are you missing out on ALT TAB too ?

(Think it was that key combo - Windows users please correct)

Press (and hold) ALT.

Whilst keeping it down, peck the TAB key.

You will be able to switch to another application (repeat ad infinitum, more than one program must be running).

Apple users have Apple Tab (and Apple Shift Tab to go backwards) and Panther users onwards have got magic Exposé (F9 through 12 do funky things).

flamesparrow Sat 23-Apr-05 09:27:54

That's about the only one I knew... Boy taught me because he got annoyed with me for closing his games so I could see my windows ... How was I meant to know about it?? All I knew was that his game took up the entire screen and I couldn't see the toolbar down the bottom anymore, so it seemed logical to exit the games!!!

treacletart Sat 23-Apr-05 13:59:08

control (or apple) X = cut
control (or apple) C = copy
control (or apple) v = paste/insert

personally on a PC I find right mouse clicking quicker. I had to use a mac recently and hated not being able to right click

WideWebWitch Sat 23-Apr-05 14:09:47

I didn't know but it's how I'd search in Excel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now