Message withdrawn

cod Fri 22-Apr-05 16:02:22

Message withdrawn

RnB Fri 22-Apr-05 16:05:24

Message withdrawn

cod Fri 22-Apr-05 16:05:56

Message withdrawn

codnobblin Mon 25-Apr-05 10:30:53

Didn't we have this discussion a few weeks ago? I wish people would check the archives.

collision Mon 25-Apr-05 10:53:37

I think this would be helpful actually.

What does Mumsnet HQ think?

WigWamBam Mon 25-Apr-05 10:57:56

I think it tends to give the impression that old MN members can't be bothered to help out new ones. And while a lot of questions are easily answered, not every situation is the same so often the archived threads don't quite answer your question.

collision Mon 25-Apr-05 11:00:41

Archived threads are a pain and I can never find what I am looking for!

TBH if FAQ was there then it would be easy to find something quickly without having to set up a new conversation. I know I dont have to post on a topic if I dont want to but it does get boring if the same subject is there all the time.

WigWamBam Mon 25-Apr-05 11:06:28

Yes, it gets boring - but it's still important that people think they can ask a question with particular reference to their own circumstances. I also think using the archives is a pain, and it also doesn't guarantee that you'll find an answer to your question as quickly as you'd get a reply to a post.

I think sometimes people like the reassurance that there's actually someone out there in a similar situation, rather than just reading either archived threads or having to look at a FAQ section.

chipmonkey Mon 25-Apr-05 11:28:20

If you just look throught the archived threads then you don't get the chat. tbh the first time I ever posted I was told to "look in the archives". I was really worried that it was just a club for the "oldtimers" and new people weren't very welcome. I know differently now but at the time it was a bit offputting.

jellyhead Mon 25-Apr-05 11:31:54

You forgot hoovers

HENRY HENRY HENRY

Justine (mumsnet) Mon 25-Apr-05 11:51:21

Think we could probably do something with our "welcome to mumsnet email" explaining how to navigate talk eg use the archives/ abbreviations/netiquette. What we're not keen on is compiling any editorial that will constantly need updating when it's all there on the site anyway. Also we agree would be a bad idea to imply that new folks aren't welcome to dive in and ask questions (even ones that have been asked before). But we'll give the FAQ thing some thought and get back to you.
Thanks for the suggestion.

SaintGeorge Mon 25-Apr-05 11:59:10

If you're still around Justine - I sent an email last week to MN HQ re the library club. Has anyone had a chance to read it yet?

Justine (mumsnet) Mon 25-Apr-05 12:14:06

Yes - sorry for delay SaintGeorge - we are waiting on techs to tell us if it's something we could do directly on mumsnet as we think it's such a top idea.
Will chase today and get back to you.

ja9 Mon 25-Apr-05 12:15:17

Alternatively you could just introduce a new subject area 'Baby Pasta'.

eh Cod?

SaintGeorge Mon 25-Apr-05 12:16:26

Ok cheers Justine. We have already started a Yahoo group but if you can do something direct on here it would be brill

FLUM Mon 25-Apr-05 12:18:07

What the F is baby pasta? is it that rip off beatrix potter stuff they have in waitrose

JanH Mon 25-Apr-05 12:18:17

IMHO the archives are most useful when a new thread is started and someone remembers an old one which is relevant, and has some key words for searching for it. It's really unreasonable to expect a newbie to search when they don't know how, or what to look for, or even where to look; or to post "we discussed this last week FGS".

My 2p worth.

Twiglett Mon 25-Apr-05 12:20:13

I quite like answering FAQs .. it makes me seem all-knowing and wise

Twiglett Mon 25-Apr-05 12:21:06

and I also enjoy seeing cod get wound up

WideWebWitch Mon 25-Apr-05 12:41:56

I completely agree with Janh here.

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 12:45:17

Message withdrawn

crunchie Mon 25-Apr-05 12:46:53

I can see both sides of this tbh. However a FAQ could work as the whole point is that it wouldn't need much updating

I have to say I am as guilty as sin about saying - check the archives when I am busy and haven't time to respond in full I did this only last week re prem babies, then felt REALLY REALLY BAD. Actually I did it again on the baby modeling thread as they obviously had searched to find a thread on baby modeling, but then had simply posted the same question that had already been answered on that same thread - just a bit further down. Great they had searched, but they then didn't actually read the thread ???

Actually we need someone to lump together the relevant threads into a whole section of 'Am I unreasonable' or whatever. Problem is there are then TOO MANY TOPICS!!

Oh well I suppose I must stop being rude and saying - search the archives, I should do it myself and link it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now