Talk

Advanced search

Do You Read A Thread First?

(17 Posts)
Earlybird Wed 20-Apr-05 19:49:18

Just curious - do you read a thread first before posting on it? Or do you read the original query/comment and then respond.....

UnconditionalLove Wed 20-Apr-05 19:50:48

Bit of both really .....but mostly I do read the thread first

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 19:50:56

either, both, neither (as in sometimes I only respond to the title)

Whizzz Wed 20-Apr-05 19:53:07

Depends how many posts there's been.

Miaou Wed 20-Apr-05 19:56:46

If it's fairly long I will get the general gist of the way the conversation is going, then look out for subsequent posts by the original poster (particularly if it is a problem they are seeking advice on), before I post. If it's short then I will read the whole thing - mainly because I'm nosey!

Just as an aside, proportion of threads lurked to threads posted on - probably post on one out of 30-40 that I read!

LIZS Wed 20-Apr-05 19:59:33

If it is long I'll usually read original post and first few replies then scan rest. If it is still of interest and contentious I'll read more before replying or not.

purpleturtle Wed 20-Apr-05 20:00:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

flamesparrow Wed 20-Apr-05 20:15:46

What Twiglett said!!!

MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 20:16:46

I read it all except for the long ones , I then employ my scanning eyes.

Lucycat Wed 20-Apr-05 20:21:16

What would I need a thread for? ahh read -no I'm illiterat me

darlingbud Wed 20-Apr-05 20:27:08

TBH on the long ones I tend to read the first and maybe the last few as the really long ones can be a bit tedious and I don't have time to read all of it.

nightowl Thu 21-Apr-05 04:45:24

mostly i do yes but cant be bothered and just skim the longer threads by which time theyve usually gone onto a completeley different subject or i repeat someone else..oh well.

Gobbledigook Thu 21-Apr-05 06:28:58

I have made the mistake of just reading the original post then making my post only to then go back and read the others and find the conversation moved on from the original query!

Bit dangerous really as you could read a post and think it's not emotionally charged in any way and then read further up and find it is iykwim.

Kayleigh Thu 21-Apr-05 06:42:33

I agree with Miaou about working out how convo has gone and checking the original posters subsequent posts. Would have to agree on number I post on too, very low in comparison to those I read/lurk on !

WideWebWitch Thu 21-Apr-05 06:53:09

I sometimes do, sometimes don't, sometimes scan it. Depends on time really.

FairyMum Thu 21-Apr-05 07:04:54

Yes, 9 out of 10. I am not only on MN to input my own comments. Although sometimes I skip a post or 2.

Davros Thu 21-Apr-05 09:00:10

Usually read the whole thread but may skip one entirely if its too long. If I haven't read all of it I always say so if I post [halo emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now