Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Subscription .....

(50 Posts)
crystaltips Mon 07-Mar-05 21:04:40

I hope that this is not being too controvertial .... but ....
I was reading the vlost thread and I am so thrilled that all of us are helping out. Many of us from afar feel helpless that there is nothing else we can do but contribute financially ... BUT

I do feel that somehow Mumsnet is missing out. I bet they don't get £1000 in a month - let alone a few hours ...

So at the risk at sounding unpopular ... dig deep MNrs and support MN as well as vlost. Becuase if we don't subscribe then this wonderful site will not be able to help others.

marthamoo Mon 07-Mar-05 21:05:56

I said sort of the same thing CT. I gave for vlost but will give a bit more at a later date for MN too.

thedogmother Mon 07-Mar-05 21:08:27

Hopefully all of this will have brought the subscription bit to the attention of those mners who have not yet got round to subscribing.

I confess I didn't subscribe immediately after joining - but then realised I was coming on here nearly every day and that I should do my bit.

Blossomhill Mon 07-Mar-05 21:08:40

Maybe we shoul dhave a once a month contribution for mumsnet type of thing?

katierocket Mon 07-Mar-05 21:09:33

agree totally crystaltips - it never ceases to amaze me that there are something like 10,000 members but only a fraction of them subscribe.

tamum Mon 07-Mar-05 21:11:13

I assumed people were doing both- I am not due to resubscribe, but did anyway. It's a good point though in terms of reminders- I rely on MN to tell me when my yearly subs are due, and maybe they'll think that was it and not remind me for another year from now. Could that be sorted, tech?

Blu Mon 07-Mar-05 21:13:38

I think the idea is that the Mumsnet team have helpfully enabled the subscription facility/system to be used for making a collection, and that our payments are actually donations for help for vlost. Our subscriptions are a different matter - we can make those as usual after Tuesday

SenoraPostrophe Mon 07-Mar-05 21:14:12

I have no idea when i'm due to resubscribe - think a system of reminders or even repeat credit card billing would be a good idea.

marthamoo Mon 07-Mar-05 21:15:39

Tamum, I guess that is the ideal scenario. I'm ashamed to say my subs lapsed at Christmas (not a good time for renewing!) so my money today just went to vlost. Which is why I will subscribe properly in a few days.

marthamoo Mon 07-Mar-05 21:16:02

I did get a reminder at Xmas - but we were skint!

tamum Mon 07-Mar-05 21:16:03

I got a reminder for the last one, Senora, but that's what bothering me- I'll never remember on my own if the vlost payment gets logged as a sub.

tamum Mon 07-Mar-05 21:17:20

Also wanted to say that no-one should feel bad about not having money to spare for subs. Not everyone can, and that's why it's voluntary.

katierocket Mon 07-Mar-05 21:19:10

I think you everyone can afford £5 a year tamum - sorry but I do. But agree that it should remain voluntary.

emmatmg Mon 07-Mar-05 21:21:10

My tight-wad Dh noticed the Subs on the bank statment in Jan when I paid in for the Tsunami.

Can't do it again...and feel pretty shit about it.

Ags Mon 07-Mar-05 21:22:30

I think it is really important that the subscribe option is more advertised on the home page. I didn't realise that it was even an option for ages.

This site is obviously a lifeline for lots of women and needs to continue.

sacha3taylor Mon 07-Mar-05 21:25:30

I'm sorry to say that i have been on here for about a month and had no idea about subscribing! Is it ok to donate tomorrow (i dont have a credit card, but can use one tomorrow) and still give money to vlost????????? I will donate properly next week!!!!!!!!!!

SenoraPostrophe Mon 07-Mar-05 21:28:13

lol, emma. (sorry - It must be annoying for you)

Perhaps tech can arrange some kind of dodgy third party payment thing so payments will show up on credit card statements as "Sainsbury's" or something.

Snugs Mon 07-Mar-05 21:30:47

sacha - yes, today and tomorrow for vlost fund, any time after that it's back to normal subscriptions.

emmatmg Mon 07-Mar-05 21:33:22

it is senora,

His reaction was this

"Mumsnet?!!!......Mumsnet?????....Mums..net?????"

like the sainsbury's idea tho.

Gwenick Mon 07-Mar-05 21:35:25

I think you everyone can afford £5 a year tamum

In normal circumstances yes - but in our current position no - I feel bad enough that I can't afford to donate anything to the Vlost fund without people rubbing it in the faces of those who would love to be able to help/subscribe but genuinely can't at the moment.

Blu Mon 07-Mar-05 22:32:13

Bump - and this is for those who would like and are able (no pressure) to contribute to a collection for vlost, using the MN subscription facility.

sansouci Mon 07-Mar-05 22:38:25

Okay, I think I finally understand... correct me if I'm wrong: By subscribing to mumsnet today (Monday), that subscription money goes directly for vlost.

Blu Mon 07-Mar-05 22:47:33

That's it!
The MN team offered to do this as a way for people to make instant donations for vlost without us MN-ers using our own bank accts / sending cheques to people we don't know, or using payPal which has a high commission. The MN team are handlling all the admin.

sansouci Mon 07-Mar-05 22:49:37

Yay! Now, when can I subscribe to mumsnet?

Blu Mon 07-Mar-05 22:50:47

WEdnesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now