Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

REGISTRATION FEE - WOULD YOU OBJECT?

(299 Posts)
HRHSaintMamazon Sun 12-Oct-08 20:35:09

just seen that yet another troll has gotten in and caused one of the more prolific and well loved members of the site to leave.

This is getting to be more than just an occasional annoyance.
we seem to have become victims of our own sucess. we are all so fabulouse we are attracted a much wider audience, thoguh sadly as we become more popular we appear on teh radar of a few nutballs too.

How would we feel about the possibility of a 50p joining fee.
obviously this would have to be paid either via card or paypal so there would be some kind of verification of the persons ID.
it would mean that if trollery was supsected MN would find it easier to investigate, if the poster seemed to be in trouble MN qould be in a position to help organise real help.

but mostly it would deter the 14 year olds joing to post about pube's or incest or whatever.

The fee would be minimal so that its not too restrictive.

What do you think? woudl it work? would it be workable from MNHQ perspective or would it cause other red tape type problems?

I just really think we need to do something before the site implodes.

differentWitch Sun 12-Oct-08 20:37:51

In theory it's a great idea. How would it be workable?

MurderousMarla Sun 12-Oct-08 20:38:24

Bad idea imo

50p to cause some trouble with a bit of trolling is hardly off-putting if someone is determined

Do MNHQ really have endless hours to verify our identities

And there are thousands of non-popular and non-prolific posters who use the site for advice who are probably completely oblivious to all of this - would they stay? They matter too

Icanseethesea Sun 12-Oct-08 20:40:44

What about those of you with no debit/credit cards (and therefore no paypal)? How would we pay?

Scootergrrrl Sun 12-Oct-08 20:41:43

Instead of a fee, why not ask everyone to fill in some form of accessible member profile so regulars can check if someone has posted before, and what about, and then decide whether to get into a ruck with them?

nickytwoooohtimes Sun 12-Oct-08 20:42:08

I'd be happy to do something like that.

MurderousMarla Sun 12-Oct-08 20:42:30

Scooter, so create a hierarchy?!

Hassled Sun 12-Oct-08 20:42:33

I have no problem whatsoever with it. I think it's a great idea and would have a self-culling effect on trolls and nutters.

However, I suspect there are all sorts of administrative and advertising-related issues that have stopped MNHQ from doing this before now; the people who only post once a month but yet are still attractive from an advertiser's target audience POV are not going to bother to pay their 50p - they'll just move on to NetMums.

HRHSaintMamazon Sun 12-Oct-08 20:43:09

i think you can use your bank to reigsiter with paypal as well.

Plus it would give Mn a revenue so less ad's.

bruhaha Sun 12-Oct-08 20:43:09

I've never trolled - don't post that often either so does that mean i'm looked at with suspicion? If that's the case I wouldn't come back. I have posted in the past looking for advice.

I don't have paypal and don't want it. Where would our card details be kept?

NotDoingTheHousework Sun 12-Oct-08 20:43:39

Message withdrawn

cthea Sun 12-Oct-08 20:44:05

A nominal fee of 50p is v reasonable, esp for old-timers. It may put off others from joining, though. I know I don't join easily even when all I have to do is supply username and password. I mean I might after seeing what's available, but I wouldn't join up first and then browse.

HRHSaintMamazon Sun 12-Oct-08 20:44:22

unless you have suddenly come along ans posted askign for cash or calling someone a twunt for no apparant reason then no, of course not bruaha.

Im just the idea person, i'd leave the technical side up to HQ wink

FAQ Sun 12-Oct-08 20:44:54

tbh I don't think a nominal fee would stop the most determined nutters/trolls. Some may think it even more alluring seeing it as somewhere that "everyone thinks they know each other and can trust each other" type of thing.

Scootergrrrl Sun 12-Oct-08 20:44:57

No, not at all.
I just meant that anyone, regular or not, who wanted to argue something out with whoever was posting whatever they objected to, could check out what they'd said before. It could be similar to the profiles now but compulsory.

I only put regulars because of the OP mentioning one of the regular posters leaving. Sorry if I offended blush

ShinyPinkShoes Sun 12-Oct-08 20:45:05

In principle I wouldn't object, no.
But do I think it would deter/stop people-no sadly.

I just think that we all need to be aware that:
1. These boards are public
2. The world is small
3. We need to be responsible for guarding our personal information and be aware that it's not difficult to identify people if you know a few key things about them.
4. There are some really horrible people in the world who take pleasure in causing misery and general nastiness

HeinzEVILSight Sun 12-Oct-08 20:45:35

would have no problem with 50p fee

dinny Sun 12-Oct-08 20:45:40

who left?

I wouldn't mind this at all

MurderousMarla Sun 12-Oct-08 20:45:44

Do you really think that everything that's gone on would not have happened if you had to pay 50 p to join?

hecAteTheirBrains Sun 12-Oct-08 20:45:46

I dunno. Bad mothers club now charge £12 a year and they still have their members!

A fee would probably stop the schoolkids and the nutters who stumble across the site grin but I have a feeling someone like that person who came on re Cod would have PAID the fee because they were demented and really had it in for her! Someone with a personal axe to grind like that, would pay the few pence/couple of quid!

Would new people bother paying? Probably not many. But if you could read without paying a fee, it wouldn't affect the lurkers. Many people who lurk get hooked grin at which point they may be happy to pay something.

I think a membership fee would prune out many of the twats and pisstakers. But otoh, it might deter good people too.

I dunno I dunno <bites nails> dilemma! grin

I think more than a membership fee, mn should get rid of the ability to namechange. Most of the truly bitchy stuff happens because regular posters namechange to be spiteful and then go back to 'themselves' to chat. Get rid of THAT and the board would be a better place!

Tutter Sun 12-Oct-08 20:45:47

no, wouldn't object

happy to pay

credit crunch or not

dinny Sun 12-Oct-08 20:46:34

what has happened please?

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sun 12-Oct-08 20:46:36

You think a 50p fee would deter trolls? How naive.

PuzzleRocks Sun 12-Oct-08 20:46:42

What about registrants having to receive an activation code through the post. That way they would have to give contact details which I doubt malicious posters would want to do?

I would be happy to pay a nominal membership fee each year too.

southeastastra Sun 12-Oct-08 20:47:12

i'd pay too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now