Talk

Advanced search

Would you ban smacking? Please take our poll now (and be entered into this week's comps)

(6 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Oct-08 17:54:55

Tomorrow Parliament will debate whether to outlaw smacking completely. The current law allows parents (and some carers) to discipline children using "reasonable punishment" but outlaws punishment that leaves physical marks or causes mental harm. The last attempt to impose a full ban on smacking was defeated in 2004 .

We've put together a quick two question poll to see what Mumsnetters think about this and will hopefully be able to make your views known to the world first thing tomorrow.

For more info on the story click here

Everyone who takes part in the poll will be entered into this week's competitions to win one of 3 sets of Walker picture books worth £100 each, a week's luxury ski accommodation in France or one of 4 Fisher-Price doll and stroller sets. For more info on comp prizes click here

And just in case you need the poll link again it's here smile

FioFio Tue 07-Oct-08 17:57:40

Message withdrawn

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Tue 07-Oct-08 17:57:59

done

I don;t think it should be banned. I don;t approve neccessarily of smacking, but I do think that the government is taking it too far with regard to telling us how to raise our children.

surely the better approach is to educate, rather than constantly telling!

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Tue 07-Oct-08 17:59:24

Those that abuse their children will do so regardless of whether there is a ban on smacking or not sad. I don't believe that smacking works, but how are they going to enforce something when child abuse happens (in the majority) behind closed doors?

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 07-Oct-08 18:25:09

Blimey does that qualify as the shortest ever ?

Done

CharCharGabor Tue 07-Oct-08 18:25:59

Done. I don't think it should be banned. As ROHBH says, it's not going to stop people who abuse their children. So it would be more likely to be the parents at the end of their tether who smack as a one-off mistake who are penalised. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now