Talk

Advanced search

Have you got any tips for getting older children into bed for The Daily Telegraph?

(53 Posts)
CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Sep-08 10:38:56

We need your advice on how to retain that 'grown-up' time in the evenings once your kids are that bit older....

Buda Fri 05-Sep-08 10:40:56

No advice but will be watching with interest!

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Sep-08 10:41:22

I don't think he'd get into bed for the Daily Telegraph grin

littlelapin Fri 05-Sep-08 10:42:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Sep-08 10:43:40

DS atarts heading for bed at 9:30 and is allowed to read till 10:00. If he was to mess about getting to bed, that would eat into his reading time, so he doesn't complain. It'll get more complex when he needs less sleep than us though.

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Sep-08 10:44:44

Great minds think alike grin LOL!

Anna8888 Fri 05-Sep-08 10:49:20

LOL at retaining "grown-up time".

It disappeared the day she was born grin - she just doesn't need more sleep than us.

The boys (11, 13) do go to bed a bit ahead of us - they are quite obedient still and just do as their father tells them (French upbringing wink). Maybe the Telegraph should ask French parents about this.

Cappuccino Fri 05-Sep-08 10:51:15

how old?

Enid got my 7 year old to bed v well with her approach

but 7 still young I guess

(grown-up time? Does the Telegraph mean packing-lunches-and-putting-stuff-away time? or do they have Help for that, being Telegraph readers?)

Uriel Fri 05-Sep-08 10:53:12

Mine go to bed when I tell them to. Isn't that what normally happens? hmm

Carmenere Fri 05-Sep-08 10:55:44

Beat them with a rolled up copy of the Telegraph?

SlartyBartFast Fri 05-Sep-08 10:57:31

no ideas.
<<holding matchsticks up with eyes here>>

apart from parents staying up later. i might just have to read the daily telegraph or at least watch this thread to find out.

a bigger house sounds like a good option.

Marina Fri 05-Sep-08 10:58:29

It's easy for us in that ds is an avid reader and willingly turns in at around 8pm (he is nine). He does fanny about a bit - I will check up on him around 9pm (lights out/wind-down time) and often find him reading standing up with one sock on and nothing else hmm).
He is surprisingly accepting of our rule about no TV after 7pm on weekdays. We also enforce the no computer/DS rule after 7.30pm.
My top tip - tell your child that if they wish to stay downstairs and help with decontaminating the compost bin/unloading and reloading the dishwasher/ironing/cleaning, they can. Works a treat.
LOL at having "help" wink.

Marina Fri 05-Sep-08 11:00:27

Carm, how about following them about reading some of the Telegraph's most dismal columnists (Janet Daley or Simon Heffer spring to mind) at the top of your voice...or would Childline be concerned about this?

seeker Fri 05-Sep-08 11:01:34

Not sure what you mean by grown up time. As the children get older, surely they increasingly join in with grown up time?

seeker Fri 05-Sep-08 11:02:50

I wouldn't get OUT of bed for the Daily Telegraph!

Tortington Fri 05-Sep-08 11:03:46

we have strict bedtimes.

our time is important - and kids are horrible without enough sleep - and we are a family who loves to sleep.

bedtime for 6-10 was always around 7 or 8pm

i really am like a scrawny tree bending to the wind on most things - i talk a good talk on mumsnet but a good argument from my kids as to why they shouldnt do something i have asked is always considered. DS1 just has to give me a gorg smile - and i break - i can't even shout at him ( he is 18)

anyway...on this we never caved. bedtime is bedtime

sine being teenagers bedtime is 10pm.

i know that they mess around for a while but at aged 15 (twins) they are always asleep for 10.30 on a school night.

now ds1 is home again ( 18yr old) and he shares a room with ds2 - i tell them lights out - and he goes to sleep too PMSL

he could come downstairs - but more often than not he is knackered from working

is there a tip in there
?

i thinkits has been said - do as i say and i MEAN IT

when kids school age to teenagers go to bed at 7 or 8 you have the whole evening to mumsnet i mean scrabble i mean tidy up.

friday night we always let them stay up later. - it was a treat.

Marina Fri 05-Sep-08 11:03:51

Well, I quite agree there seeker. Did you see the episode of Outnumbered where they let their eldest attend what turned out to be a rather eventful supper party?
We quite like having ds downstairs with us after dd has hit the sack, and have some very enjoyable chats and film-sharing (such as James Bond etc which we really don't want dd to see yet).

Cappuccino Fri 05-Sep-08 11:04:27

my top tip would be to have an open-plan house

that way we can yell back up the stairs to our moaning children as we sit in front of the TV

castille Fri 05-Sep-08 11:05:18

Usually mine (nearly 11 & 9) go upstairs after dinner for their showers, at 8/8.30pm when my 2yo goes to bed. After that they read or make things or make a mess or tidy up in their rooms until lights out. Whatever they like as long as it's calming and doesn't involve staring at a screen

Tortington Fri 05-Sep-08 11:05:25

my kids as theyhave gotten older have become invisible - usually in their rooms

SlartyBartFast Fri 05-Sep-08 11:06:12

tv's in their rooms, lap tops in their rooms.... is that the answer?

Tortington Fri 05-Sep-08 11:07:33

my tip would be check on them. and dont give false warnings "i'll be up in a minute so better get to sleep" doesn't work. go up.

also kids still like stories until the age of ten i think. they like that time with you.

i used to sing to mine as the 'wind down' for sleep

3 songs and the "just one more" was it

Marina Fri 05-Sep-08 11:08:32

No IMO slarty. Not in our house.
As ds and dd gets older we expect them to be able to stay up later and join in (if they want) with whatever we are doing, not be separated out on the assumption that all they want to do is MSN and watch Hollyoaks

Tortington Fri 05-Sep-08 11:09:18

i would avoid tv's in room until they are teenagers personally.

and then they only get to keep it if they don't abuse your trust.

I have cut plugs off games systems and tv's before now.

lois stylee from malcome in middle

bit extreme but he was warned

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Sep-08 11:10:44

Yes, even before bedtime, DS is often not in the same room as me, or DH. Sometimes we're watching a film together, but often on PCs or TVs or reading in completely different rooms. Trickier if they have small bedrooms and you've just one place to all be in the evenings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now