Talk

Advanced search

A dads section

(36 Posts)
hsbcarter Fri 11-Feb-05 13:40:29

As a new dad and an avid mumsnet reader (of two weeks!) would it be possible to have a dad's section of the message board. I'd be happy to moderate/help out.

If there already is one, then please point me in the direction and I apologise for wasting everyone's time!

HSB

Rachel (mumsnet) Fri 11-Feb-05 16:16:10

Congratulations on your arrival and welcome to mumsnet. Although the site's called mumsnet, we always welcome men and hope you continue to find it useful - as well as a bit of fun on these long winter evenings. I'll certainly put your idea of a dads' section to the rest of the team - and thanks for your offer to moderate. We'll be in touch.

Rachel

SofiaAmes Fri 11-Feb-05 23:36:11

I think it's a great idea. I got lots of great advice from my dh who had had 3 children before he met me. I think that mumsnet can be quite overwhelming for men when they first arrive and maybe if they had their own topic, they'd be more likely to post and eventually branch out...

Joolstoo Fri 11-Feb-05 23:49:09

good idea - then the mums can eavesdrop on all that male bonding

tigermoth Sat 12-Feb-05 10:53:57

I like the idea of a dad's section, too.

colditzmum Sat 12-Feb-05 10:57:39

Yeah, we cam watch!

<<snurk>>

secur Sat 12-Feb-05 10:57:47

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Sat 12-Feb-05 12:16:07

And would it marginalise men a bit, and make them feel they couldn't post on the rest of the site?

anorak Sat 12-Feb-05 12:56:02

I don't think so wwb. We all post on overlapping topics.

If it were women in the minority I bet we'd want a topic heading for ourselves!

Angeliz Sat 12-Feb-05 12:57:18

I like the idea of lurking over the dads to see how their minds really work

vict17 Sat 12-Feb-05 13:02:34

could the site be called parentsnet instead so all of it sounds inclusive to everyone and dads aren't segregated?

Yorkiegirl Sat 12-Feb-05 13:07:41

Message withdrawn

vict17 Sat 12-Feb-05 13:08:29

I guess! Perhaps some dads should start dadsnet!

Yorkiegirl Sat 12-Feb-05 13:09:46

Message withdrawn

Fran1 Sat 12-Feb-05 13:41:37

I think you'll scare all the dads off if you suggest you're going to "watch" over them all you perves!

motherinferior Sat 12-Feb-05 14:23:17

Yes, I think we should watch but ^not let on^.

Caligula Sat 12-Feb-05 14:35:01

But what will we eavesdrop on? When there are awkward pauses in threads, will they start talking about football results?

Beetroot Sat 12-Feb-05 15:10:29

Message withdrawn

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sat 12-Feb-05 15:13:20

you are wicked women. I would never do a thing like that.

<<tee hee, will be the first to eavesdrop and troll, ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!>>

tigermoth Sun 13-Feb-05 08:39:47

resounding silence about this topic idea from other male mumsnetters so far....

lol @ beety!

Cod Sun 13-Feb-05 08:44:01

Message withdrawn

wheresmyfroggy Sun 13-Feb-05 08:46:53

Don't think a dads section would be all it's cracked up to be!

Went to a dads site once and looked at a thread about getting children to bed, there were about 20 posts and the thread had been running over a month, and most of those posts were "me too" or "same here" responses to about 4/5 anecdotes in total

as for you ladies lurking i dont think it would reveal any shocking secrets about the male psyche, will prob just re-affirm how boring male conversation can be!

Lonelymum Sun 13-Feb-05 08:51:33

Oh come on wheresmyfroggy, don't deny us the fascination of listening in to a man only conversation when it is clear that your fellow men enjoy lurking on Mumsnet so much, listening to unsuspecting women. It must sometimes feel like you are lurking in the end cubicle of the ladies conveniences, and I am sure I am not the only woman here who would love to be the fly on the wall of some male only conversations.

wheresmyfroggy Sun 13-Feb-05 08:59:42

you wouldn't though, do you really think that we would suddenly have interesting, emotional or revealing conversations just cos we were on the net

I have compiled a list of plausible threads on the mens section

Whose gonna win the premiership?

Whats the best route by road to get from y tyo x?

Anyone got any cheats for grand theft auto?

ds doesn't like football have i failed as a dad?

Lonelymum Sun 13-Feb-05 09:02:23

No No No! Please tell me you are not really that shallow and boring? (I don't mean you personally, but men in general). This is still a parenting website. I would have hoped some men would have wanted to talk about their experiences as a parent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now