Talk

Advanced search

How about a 'threads I'm watching' button ?

(13 Posts)
hub2dee Tue 25-Jan-05 12:49:37

Anyone else think this might be useful ?

I imagine when most people log on they check out threads they're on / threads they started / Last hour etc. etc., but often I want to find threads I surfed through earlier in the day / yesterday etc.... threads I didn't actually post on, but just find interesting to read.

Am I alone or are there a pile of us who might like 'remember this thread' ?

Hausfrau Tue 25-Jan-05 12:51:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PicadillyCircus Tue 25-Jan-05 12:51:15

A bit like ebay do you mean?

I'd probably like that.

PicadillyCircus Tue 25-Jan-05 12:52:08

As I don't always have something to add but do have threads I am interested in reading.

Although if it's a very popular subject, it is likely to be in Active Conversations anyway.

spacedonkey Tue 25-Jan-05 12:52:08

I think this is in the pipeline iirc. I expect tech will post here about it when he sees this

Tinker Tue 25-Jan-05 12:55:23

Yes, yes, yes! I want this as well. Rather than Threads I'm On just a Subscribe option to any thread you're following/on.

hub2dee Tue 25-Jan-05 12:58:16

Yeah, a bit like the 'watch this item' on ebay.

It's the only way to bookmark stuff of vague interest when there's so much going on. And MN is certainly a very busy place.

I was reading the current thread about someone's DS being bullied and the bully's ma is being unresponsive etc. etc. Anyway, I don't have any kids yet (we're PG), but I find the thread educative and would like to follow how the mamma resolves it etc. I would definitely bookmark / 'remember' that thread so I can find it instantly in a week or so without trying to hit the archive and read dozens of posts on bullying, IYSWIM.

carrie (mumsnet) Tue 25-Jan-05 14:37:15

Hi

I'll certainly alert tech to this request and we'll mull it over at the next big mumsnet meeting. This is not for a couple of weeks, so please bear with us.

Thanks for the suggestion

tech (MNHQ) Tue 25-Jan-05 15:11:16

I did this a while ago in fact, but didn't turn it on. It should be easy enough to add. We are going to limit it to 20 each, which should be enough. If you try to add a 21st it will ask you to delete another one first.

hub2dee Tue 25-Jan-05 15:48:51

Tech, Carrie, that's good news.

One other comment: At the head of each post, the username is highlighted in blue and underlined, like a hyperlink, but obviously nothing is directly linked to this. Might it be conceivable to either link this to a CAT form or possibly to the user's profile / intro page ? Might be more intuitive and promote comms.

Alternatively, perhaps a click on a name runs a script to show 'Threads I'm on' for that person, so you can get a feel for the sorts of areas they are perhaps interested in. When users want to use a different alias from their main one (to remain anonymous), perhaps the link wouldn't be available.

(I know having an 'all about me' profile page has been discussed, and some MNers didn't want to post info about where they lived, kids etc. but maybe those who did, could, as it were).

Tinker Tue 25-Jan-05 15:54:34

But please don't let others see Threads I'm Lurking On

hub2dee Tue 25-Jan-05 16:10:03

Quite right, Tinker.

It would be threads you'd actively 'bookmarked' also, rather than just threads you glanced at cos they looked so damned interesting .

hub2dee Tue 25-Jan-05 16:34:44

Actually, I'm not so sure about my last post.

It could be a running list of last twenty (unique) threads you've looked at, and you could clear it whenever you feel the need...

Hmmm, tricky one...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now