Talk

Advanced search

I don't want to be overly paranoid but...

(83 Posts)
soapbox Mon 10-Jan-05 21:54:01

given the problems experienced on the 'other' thread today I think arranging meet-ups and posting all the venue and time information on the boards may be inadvisable.

You just never know

What do you think?

pixiefish Mon 10-Jan-05 21:54:46

agree. think we need to up security for a while

Gwenick Mon 10-Jan-05 21:57:16

I don't really think so. As long as there's a 'group' of people, and it's in a public open place, and they all let their DH/DP whatever know where they're going, I don't think there's any more risk than usual.

I DO however think it's good reminder to people to be careful when arranging meetings, and to follow the simple rules.

moondog Mon 10-Jan-05 21:58:26

It's really bad news all of this stuff, on what is meant to be a site offering parental support.
What is the world coming to?

Just had the little girl from the flat upstairs knock on my door yesterday afternoon and ask her to help me with her English homework. No parent came down with her and she came in and stayed with me for an hour.
I was glad to be living in such a neighbourly place. When I told my Turkish teacher that one wouldn't dream of sending an unaccompanied child to another home, she was really shocked.

soapbox Mon 10-Jan-05 21:59:20

But waht if someone was followed after leaving or even the thought of being 'observed' yuck!

Doesn't really affect me as I don't go on meet-ups but just think people need to be careful.

CarrieG Mon 10-Jan-05 22:01:07

I suppose someone spiteful COULD ring a venue & cancel a booking...? Or 'phone in a bomb threat! (I know someone who threatened to do this to a gig my friends were playing because his xp was planning to attend with her new chap...). But otherwise I can't see why it's risky.

Gwenick Mon 10-Jan-05 22:02:20

I think, to be honest, the risk of being followed is no greater than if you meet a group of offline friends in town and then walk home again. You only need to look at recent news events to see that you're at just as much risk 'offline' as you are offline.

And if you follow the 'rules' about meeting people from the internet there's no reason it should be any more dangerous than going into town on your own!

pixiefish Mon 10-Jan-05 22:02:53

like soapbox says- people could follow you there/home.

hunkermunker Mon 10-Jan-05 22:03:00

The 'other' thread? I knew I should've spent more time on MN today and less time with DS

soapbox Mon 10-Jan-05 22:03:17

Oh maybe I'm just getting an attack of the heebeegeebies then.

Gwenick Mon 10-Jan-05 22:03:58

sorry that should read 'offline' as your are 'online' LOL

dinosaur Mon 10-Jan-05 22:05:10

What was the other thread soapbox?

pinkdiamond Mon 10-Jan-05 22:05:13

Message withdrawn

pinkdiamond Mon 10-Jan-05 22:06:32

Message withdrawn

soapbox Mon 10-Jan-05 22:07:02

The what do you look like one. But don't post on it!!!!

IsitworthcontactingthePolice Mon 10-Jan-05 22:07:17

I am now also wondering whether I should take part in swaps too as my real address is banded around. I'd only want "real" MNers to receive it as opposed to anyone whose identity is still in question.

collision Mon 10-Jan-05 22:07:41

Bother! I always miss the interesting stuff! What has happened now?

Gwenick Mon 10-Jan-05 22:08:15

Pink - that's one of the 'rules' of meeting people from teh internet - don't meet just a sinlge person - unless you go with a friend.

soapbox Mon 10-Jan-05 22:08:47

Pinkdiamond - the problem is that you can exchange emails with people you think you know online - but you don't really know them at all!

dinosaur Mon 10-Jan-05 22:09:08

Tell us what happened!

pinkdiamond Mon 10-Jan-05 22:10:10

Message withdrawn

soapbox Mon 10-Jan-05 22:10:47

Dino- I think someone may be enjoying the reaction they are getting from what they did and posting details here might just extend their 'enjoyment' so not sure if I should

pinkdiamond Mon 10-Jan-05 22:10:59

Message withdrawn

dinosaur Mon 10-Jan-05 22:12:09

Hanx, soapbox and pinkdiamond.

Gwenick Mon 10-Jan-05 22:13:06

Do you realise that thers' a very strong chance that whichever person(s) that have been responsible for the events of the last few days are sitting readint this thread laughing at us all - and without wanting to start a 'witchhunt' could even have posted on it!!

Re swaps - would you sell stuff in the local paper?? I know many people who do - but wouldn't DREAM of giving their address to someone online.........but surely it's the same thing. Except selling something in the local paper involves actually giving out your address for someone to come TO your house.

There's always an element of 'risk' involved in anything when it comes to sending things/meeting people but if I go to the shop in the evening I'm putting myself at risk (probably MORE risk).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: