Talk

Advanced search

Do you feel the same as me?

(88 Posts)
Lonelymum Sat 08-Jan-05 14:41:52

Over the last few days, when I have come on Mumsnet, there has been a lot of "talk" about Wig and Robe/ Judge Flounce or Lavender etc and lots of back biting and "in" jokes. It is quite off putting for people on the periphery such as me. Do you agree that Mumsnet would be better off without this kind of talk? I don't necessarily want to talk nappies and weaning all the time, but I am far happier to give advice on that score than to find nothing but gossip and girls being bitchy.

I am not flouncing, but if I don't get much positive response to this post, I shall seriously reconsider coming to Mumsnet again.

PrettyCandles Sat 08-Jan-05 14:45:32

I'm not bothered if there are in jokes or talk about individuals on threads dedicated to that. What I dislike is when a thread about something else gets taken over by such things.

Back-biting is never nice, but inevitable I think.

AnnieQ Sat 08-Jan-05 14:46:05

Yes, I agree with you. I don't want to be talking about nappies all the time but I could do without all the witch-hunts and backbiting.

lockets Sat 08-Jan-05 14:48:09

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Sat 08-Jan-05 14:49:22

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Sat 08-Jan-05 14:50:32

I don't mind about anything esle, but I hate the backbiting. Don't shoot me down for saying this, but I find backbiting a very female trait and I dislike it so much it is probably the reason I do not have many friends.

lowcalCOD Sat 08-Jan-05 14:51:59

you lot going on about it is h only perpetuating it
whya start another thread about his now?
if you dont like it stiop goiung on and ona nd on about it!

lockets Sat 08-Jan-05 14:52:09

Message withdrawn

SeaShells Sat 08-Jan-05 14:54:24

Totally agree with you lonelymum, I'm not the gossipy type and do find that I don't have many female friends as I don't join in with the bitching, I find it pathetic and very tedious!

Lonelymum Sat 08-Jan-05 14:54:44

I'm not going on about it Coddy. Everyone else is on the other threads. I just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way as me about it because right this minute now it seems poeple can only talk about one thing and it is making Mumsnet very boring. Most of my posts today have been on traditional Mumsnet subjects and I haven't even read the nasty stuff. But I can see it is still going on.

walliamsbabysmum Sat 08-Jan-05 14:57:18

It is really annoying, I agree. The most tedious are the ones that start 'mumsnet is so cliquey', and you click on, only to find it's a p*sstake of other threads, with the worst clique of all on there, wine flowing, and in-jokes flying. What I can't understand is why they feel they have to use MN as their forum - can't they just go away and set up their own forum somewhere?
I love MN for the humour and support, I dislike the bitchiness and rudeness that sometimes occurs - but the way I look at it is that I wouldn't have anything to do with these people in 'real-life', and so I stay away from them here whenever they appear with their drivel.

Lonelymum Sat 08-Jan-05 14:59:18

WBM - wow you speak your mind! Great!

walliamsbabysmum Sat 08-Jan-05 15:02:37

I'm just waiting for the gaggle to leave the bar (what is that all about??) and descend on this thread, defending their rights to cliques, and telling all posters to get a life etc - yawn...

Beetroot Sat 08-Jan-05 15:05:46

Message withdrawn

Heathcliffscathy Sat 08-Jan-05 15:07:38

i understand how you feel, sometimes i felt like that at first, but realised you have to use mn in a way that suits you and have thick skin and not take it all too seriously. you can see it as cliquiness, or a humour diffusing a tense situation, or just that mn is a place where everyone can do their thing...it's natural for people that have 'known' each other for a while to share jokes...we all do it if you think about it, when we've had some interaction with someone on another thread we might refer to it on a different one. i'm saying this as someone that considers themselves not a newbie, but not an oldtimer either. i've met some mners i've made some good friends on this site, sometimes i get paranoid that everyone hates me, sometimes i feel a sense of belonging. hope some of this makes a bit of sense

lowcalCOD Sat 08-Jan-05 15:07:54

buut listen the br has been going on for ages since well before oyu came so dont join t hen slag off!

anyway lonelymum think the " contecntious thread" prize of the year goes to you adn your piss take thread recently!

lou33 Sat 08-Jan-05 15:08:09

hello beety, how was egypt?

Beetroot Sat 08-Jan-05 15:09:35

Message withdrawn

Heathcliffscathy Sat 08-Jan-05 15:09:37

what was your pisstake thread lonelymum?

lowcalCOD Sat 08-Jan-05 15:09:52

god dont ask it was so contentious it got deleted!

Heathcliffscathy Sat 08-Jan-05 15:10:23

i always miss everything round here...arse

lowcalCOD Sat 08-Jan-05 15:10:25

is thsi anohter cliquey thread YAWN

Beetroot Sat 08-Jan-05 15:10:42

Message withdrawn

lowcalCOD Sat 08-Jan-05 15:11:11

can i join too?

walliamsbabysmum Sat 08-Jan-05 15:11:18

uhh o her it comes im of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now