Enormous ad banners that you accidentally click on all the time?

(88 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Zancah Sat 24-Apr-21 17:16:42

I'm on the mobile site on an iPhone 11 (one of the biggest screens!) and these new banners that are triple the depth of the previous/normal ads are the bloody bane of my MN life.
They are damn near impossible to not click on when you're scrolling upwards.

Is that it? You get revenue for clicks so you made it so that I accidentally click on it about 29 times a day??

OP’s posts: |
Zancah Sat 24-Apr-21 17:17:28

Meant to say I'm on the app not mobile site.

HotSauceCommittee Sat 24-Apr-21 17:17:37

Bloody Pepperstone financial thing with me. Pisses me off.

Zancah Sat 24-Apr-21 17:36:42

I don't think the cruise is a targeted add for me, I've not expressed any desire to go on one.
The size of them has to get altered though, it's bloody annoying. Far easier to avoid when they were smaller.

Zancah Sat 24-Apr-21 20:26:01

@MNHQ can you sort it out, I've just accidentally clicked through to ads several times in a row just trying to scroll quickly down a long thread. It's so easy to do as the bloody ad banner takes up nearly a third of the screen. It's so annoying.

NotPennysBoat Sat 24-Apr-21 20:29:01

Exactly the same thing here, pissing me right off!

needadvice54321 Sat 24-Apr-21 20:32:20

Yes me too!!

Advertisement

Zancah Sat 24-Apr-21 21:08:29

Glad to know it's not just me!

Strongswans Sat 24-Apr-21 21:51:41

Yep same here, I keep hitting an ad accidentally just trying to scroll! Needs to be sorted out.

Horridcreature Sat 24-Apr-21 22:06:20

Me too. Smaller phone. At least one has shot itself in the foot though. It is so big I read and scrolled past the posts before it loaded, actually it still hasn’t loaded.. Really annoying.

Millykitty Sun 25-Apr-21 00:52:28

Me too! So annoying!

Susannahmoody Sun 25-Apr-21 01:02:03

Yip.

MN?

cerealgamechanger Sun 25-Apr-21 01:17:25

Omg, I thought I was the only one. Even hovering my finger over them for a nanosecond takes me to the webpage. Really fucking annoying. It happened 5 times on one thread. The amount of times, I've just given up on MN and have gone onto something else is ridiculous. Sort it out @MNHQ

cerealgamechanger Sun 25-Apr-21 01:19:25

Zancah

I don't think the cruise is a targeted add for me, I've not expressed any desire to go on one.
The size of them has to get altered though, it's bloody annoying. Far easier to avoid when they were smaller.

I got hounded by the property development thing in Greenwich. I'm not looking to move and have no idea how the bastards got to me thinking I'm in the market to buy an overpriced flat!

LilyMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 25-Apr-21 09:53:56

Hi all

Thank you for the feedback - we will pass it over to our developers and discuss with them. Sorry for any inconvenience being caused. flowers

bruffin Sun 25-Apr-21 21:20:20

Im on samsung s20 and the adverts keep taking over when im trying to type, its every minute or so

Itis6oclocksomewhere Sun 25-Apr-21 22:26:52

Same here. It's the Pepperstone ad for me. They're absolutely massive so you can't help clicking on them.
This seemed to happen a few months ago and it stopped. Now it's back and it's worse.
As a PP said, it seems to take you to the site by just hovering a finger over it.

CheshireCats Sun 25-Apr-21 22:33:49

They take up too much of the page. I won't ever be buying anything via the ads, so you are wasting your time Mumsnet and making the app less user friendly

Zancah Mon 26-Apr-21 12:33:32

Bumping this because, out of a 20 minute lunch break and quick flick through mn, I've inadvertently pressed the ads eight times. Eight!! - I've just gone and counted how many browsers I had open.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Apr-21 13:35:29

Just letting you know that we're still looking into this - we'll be back with an update as soon as we can. In the meantime, we're sorry for any inconvenience.

BeckyWithTheGoodHair5629456 Mon 26-Apr-21 22:49:58

Ah I came to site stuff to post exactly this. Constantly accidentally clicking on this huge ad! Glad it's not just me and that you're fixing it MN! grin

AndreaMarteau Tue 27-Apr-21 10:38:50

Came here to look for this and have accidentally clicked two ads just on this thread 😑 It's really annoying and just makes me less inclined to use whatever they're advertising. In fact, I'd actively avoid it.

soniamumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Apr-21 17:12:01

Hi @AndreaMarteau @Zancah and others. Just dropping in to update you.

We're going to be looking at solutions to this issue and will be making changes to avoid you clicking on adverts by mistake.

Thanks for your patience. flowers

IsolaPribby Wed 28-Apr-21 17:16:19

I find this on the mobile site also. And the quantity of ads! There were at least 5 just scrolling through this thread!

cerealgamechanger Fri 30-Apr-21 14:36:28

It's still happening @MNHQ. I was redirected to google 5 times just now when reading a thread I'm following.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in