Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ, would it be possible to know when someone is a namechanger or not?

(44 Posts)
littlelapin Tue 25-Sep-07 20:23:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:24:53

Oh god no, then we'd have little white flags for newbies and the whole world would go to hell. Who has pissed you off rabbit, let me at them. I'll go beat them up for you.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:25:21

Ah you said, I haven't read that thread yet. Is it worth it or shall I just say 'pah' now? grin

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:25:44

<<wanders off to find middle class bore thread>>

Tortington Tue 25-Sep-07 20:27:19

it would make mumsnet less interesting imo, besides, the facility is already there if you think something is offensive - i mean if you change your name you get e-mails from MNHQ telling you off

fryalot Tue 25-Sep-07 20:28:55

and all that would happen is that real people would make up rl names and open a new email account and register with mn again.

That's what I would do if I wanted to do a really good wind up and I knew that MNHQ would out me

(or maybe I'm just too sneaky?)

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:29:40

Do you Custardo??? I've never had one.....which must make you a definite naughty step poster! wink

littlelapin Tue 25-Sep-07 20:31:22

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:31:47

Right I've read as much as the thread as I could before I broke out into 'yada, yada, yada territory' - and I still don't care who Talulasmum is TBH LL.

Tis not real, tis the Tinternet. Objects on the screen may be smaller than they appear grin

littlelapin Tue 25-Sep-07 20:32:08

callmeovercautious Tue 25-Sep-07 20:32:35

LL I agree that would be good but what if you are nc for a genuine reason e.g embarrassing lady garden questions?

On the hounding of "newbis"/"name changers" issue - One day we will really upset a new poster who genuinely needs help - although I am sure it has already happened.

Some people need to think and ask a question before posting. Many of the posters here are in a delicate frame of mind - hence posting rather than talking to friends or family - Personally I always take the cautious route and either avoid the debate or support the OP and take the s**t.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:32:47

Maybe not a white flag then, may I suggest, a Lillet, whereas regulars get a mooncup? grin

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:33:47

LL - actually you're not quite right there wink The IP address is not always what it seems. grin

<<malevolent geeky smile>>

littlelapin Tue 25-Sep-07 20:34:29

Tortington Tue 25-Sep-07 20:34:45

only if someone reports you as being a fecker - not just for namechanging - funny i don't think i have ever got "you're a fecker" e-mails in custardo - but as soon as i change my name and speak my mind - in the way i usually would - people get all arsey at a newbie

i was told that newbies have to earn their stripes.

i think we are all allowed to have an opinion my opinion was cuntwhacker and someone had a prob with that ambiguous term

RustyBear Tue 25-Sep-07 20:40:39

There are at least three Mners where I work, all posting from the same network, so presumably the same IP address. So if one of them got did something naughty, banning them would mean banning the other two as well.

dolally Tue 25-Sep-07 20:50:18

I HATE those forums (fora?!!) where you get told everything about the poster how long they've been a member, how many posts blah blah blah. And I REALLY detest those little banners across the bottom of each post with cutie pics and how many months weeks and days old their kiddies are. Sorry if you are one of those.

I love mn's attitude, just let the conversation flow.

Surely we are all bright enough make up our own minds what threads to post on and what posts to respond to? And who cares if there's a troll about?

littlelapin Tue 25-Sep-07 20:52:57

dolally Tue 25-Sep-07 20:58:32

no, lapin, no-one's going to say such a thing grin

Mine is just my opinion though, wonder what everyone else thinks?

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 20:59:39

All together now: "bog off lapin you nosy rabbit" grin

whomovedmychocolate Tue 25-Sep-07 21:00:09

Ooh that felt good! grin

tiredemma Tue 25-Sep-07 21:02:17

Someone offended me once (told me to drive my sons into the local canal)

I was pissed off- and rightly so. I asked MNET just to tell me if it was a namechanger ( regular mnetter) or not. they told me it was a new poster

littlelapin Tue 25-Sep-07 21:14:28

JeremyVile Tue 25-Sep-07 21:14:45

I get what you mean LL.

I dont go along with the belief that newbies need to earn their stripes, I have often posted on newbie flounce threads to say they should be just as entitled to tell us we're all arses as a long standing poster.

What really pisses me off though is the namechanging that is done solely to be contetious - lots of people feel they know its a wind-up by a regular (including me on the 'M/C bore' thread), fair enough in itself but then others believe its a genuine newbie and accuse others of bullying - again, fair enough.

But it really fucks me off to think of bad blood being created between people on here, while some pathetic bored regular gets their kicks at a bit of vicarious attention.

There was an incident not that long ago where a thread by a name-changer got out of hand and the OP held their hands up and said who they were - I dont believe the average namechanger would have the guts to do that but at least, when it all starts going tits-up, say ok, it was a joke and quit posting on it.

I feel really sorry for the people who take it at face value and put alot of effort into sticking up for the OP who, if they are not genuine, doesn't deserve it or probably even give two hoots.

littlelapin Tue 25-Sep-07 21:23:32

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now