Talk

Advanced search

is being told to fuck off acceptable on mn?

(40 Posts)
hatwoman Mon 17-Sep-07 23:05:38

actually a geniune question - it's not a personal attack as such. but god it's pissed me off. I expect this isn't the best way of dealing with it either but fuck itmumsnet.com/Talk/1372/390087

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 17-Sep-07 23:06:28

No, it isnt. That's why we have the red !

moondog Mon 17-Sep-07 23:08:00

Yes
Now fuck off and stop sulking.

WideWebWitch Mon 17-Sep-07 23:08:31

Desiderate completely out of order imo and should be deleted, it wasn't reasoned argument, it's personal slagging off. I've told people to fk off but only jokingly I think

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 17-Sep-07 23:08:49

sorry please report my last post too - she's really f*cked me off now blush[

pinkteddy Mon 17-Sep-07 23:15:00

report it hat, it sounded like a personal attack IMHO not to mention extremely offensive.

madamez Mon 17-Sep-07 23:25:32

You won't die from it, you know. Some people swear lots, some people don't. ANd anyone who is going to enter into onlinediscussions about controversial subjects is going to find themselves reading posts by people who vehemently disagree with them and aren't always diplomatic about saying so.
It is possible to find ferociously moderated sites where any disagreement at all gets you suspended or kicked off, but those don't tend to lead to much in the way of interesting conversation. Posters on those sites usually end up talking about their cats. Or what they had for breakfast. Or how nice that nice Terry Wogan is. INterminably.

MaryBleedinPoppins Mon 17-Sep-07 23:27:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotAnOtter Mon 17-Sep-07 23:36:41

desiderata not nice

madamez Mon 17-Sep-07 23:36:44

Marybleedinpoppins: what's racist about 'fuck off?' I would have thought it was a fairly universal kind of insult with no particular racial connotations.

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 17-Sep-07 23:37:41

madamez - unless the poster in question is a ZANU PF supporter I fail to see what is "controversial" about the situation which is being discuess hmm

madamez Mon 17-Sep-07 23:40:02

QOQ any situation on which there is more than one opinion can lead to heated discussions. And I can't honestly think of any issue on which there is not more than one opinion of the right way to proceed/who is to blame/what should be avoided.

Hurlyburly Mon 17-Sep-07 23:40:48

Hey you lot! She didn't have a farking clue what day of the week it was, she was spouting white supremacist guff and periodically telling people to piss off.

What that says to me is drunk mner.

Your posts were fab, hatwoman, vvv and qoq. Let's go back and do that conversation.

Please?

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 17-Sep-07 23:44:16

I don't care how "drunk" someone is - there's no excuse for white supremist cr*p.

TBH I'm not sure I can go back and do that conversation I'm now very upset and angry because of it sad.

Monkeytrousers Mon 17-Sep-07 23:45:20

Yes, why get admin involved everytime, with every arse? The self policing of MN is one of it's best features. It only happens, and is allowed to happen by oldies, rarely.

We have to take some responsibity for defending some people under attack without getting all "I'm going to tell teacher on you!"

harpsichordcarrier Mon 17-Sep-07 23:46:36

oh dear.
well, no, only acceptable if in a joking way in context.
otherwise not acceptable though I haven't read the thread but I take it we can rule out jolly japery.

Monkeytrousers Mon 17-Sep-07 23:51:29

oh, I thought it was about a different thread, namely the attack on kerrymum.

This one would well have stayed to the point and attacked the argument rather than the poster. There was a strong argument to be had that got lost in the mudslinging.

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 17-Sep-07 23:53:30

No, no jolly japery. Unless we have all missed the joke?

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 17-Sep-07 23:54:03

What attack on kerrymum? [confused]

LieselVentouse Mon 17-Sep-07 23:54:09

Get over it, Ive been told to fuck off many times for lesser crimes.

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 17-Sep-07 23:56:58

OH LV.... you do yourself down grin

LieselVentouse Mon 17-Sep-07 23:59:10

whys that?

LieselVentouse Mon 17-Sep-07 23:59:37

o yeah come to think of it I think it was you that told me to f off
grin

NadineBaggott Tue 18-Sep-07 00:00:28

becoming all too common I'm afraid.

I really don't like swearing - although I did on Aitch's claire verity thread blush

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 18-Sep-07 00:11:01

Well indeed - I'd like to think if you were told to fuck off - there'd be a good reason? Otherwise what would be the point grin

Wasnt it "piss off" though??? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now