Talk

Advanced search

Dear Tech - You never did answer my question...

(15 Posts)
Speccy Tue 10-Jul-07 11:50:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GeekBoy Tue 10-Jul-07 11:58:13

yeah... ...add that funky no-cache thing... ...go on, it's only a couple of lines...

Tech (MNHQ) Tue 10-Jul-07 12:57:16

We can add it, but we didn't change anything in the first place. I think maybe the way IE treats cached pages without any cahce control changed between versions 6 and 7.

We can add a pragma no-cache, or even a real no-cache header, but I'm just concerned it might upset other people. I don't remember it ever updating on its own just because you clicked back to it. But then I'm on a mac and don't use IE which could explain it......

Oh what to do what to do.....

Tech (MNHQ) Tue 10-Jul-07 12:58:36

Sorry for not answering by the way. I've been a bit under the cosh lately....

Speccy Tue 10-Jul-07 12:59:43

Speccy Tue 10-Jul-07 13:00:29

GeekBoy Tue 10-Jul-07 13:37:34

probably need an expires as well using pragma.. ...IE sucks at behaving itself with caching

Speccy Tue 10-Jul-07 13:42:05

GeekBoy Tue 10-Jul-07 13:58:44

just another header Speccy.
There's no real way to put it in english though... ..basically some browsers can be a bit crap at realising a web page has changed to you can either tell the web server itself to send a header saying "Don't save a copy of me as I change very frequently" or you can write a header in the page to do the same thing.. ...Internet Explorer was never very good at the latter and tended to ignore what the webpage was telling it and only listen to the server so it would still save a copy and you'd see the old web page.. ...make sense??

The only problem is if Tech sends a no-cache header you'll end up downloading new versions of anything on the page that sits on www.mumsnet.com which might make things seem a little slow....

Speccy Tue 10-Jul-07 14:08:57

Tech (MNHQ) Tue 10-Jul-07 14:15:58

Speccy, let me get this straight in my own head.....

What used to happen:
You click on active convos, then click on a thread. After reading the thread you click "back" to go back to the active convos list and it's refreshed on its own.

What happens now that you don't like:
You click on active convos, then click on a thread. After reading the thread you click "back" to go back to the active convos list and it's the same list as before. You need to click "active conversations" again to get a new list.

Is that right?

Speccy Tue 10-Jul-07 14:20:33

Tech (MNHQ) Tue 10-Jul-07 14:25:47

Hmm, that shouldn't happen. Sounds to me like your "temporary internet files" might be playing up.... you could try deleting them.

In any case, we've added GeekBoy's headers now (just to active convs) so let me know if it makes any difference.....

FluffyMummy123 Tue 10-Jul-07 14:27:28

Message withdrawn

Speccy Tue 10-Jul-07 14:38:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now