Talk

Advanced search

Member Profiles

(24 Posts)
winestein Wed 04-Jul-07 23:38:12

I keep noticing that a number of member profiles are showing postcodes. I realise this is something chosen by the member, but I don't think everyone realises it is 2 clicks of a mouse to find a pretty exact address of where they live.

I think this option should be disabled from member profiles.

Anyone else?

superchoccycake Wed 04-Jul-07 23:43:05

does it?

does it give the full postcode?

winestein Wed 04-Jul-07 23:48:34

Yes, it does. Really. I have seen many profiles with it on and after reading yet another profile with it on tonight I decided I would mention it incase no-one else has

superchoccycake Wed 04-Jul-07 23:49:20

thats scary

CodOVeneer Wed 04-Jul-07 23:50:11

Really? Where abouts on he profile does it show the postcode?

winestein Wed 04-Jul-07 23:55:24

It must be a selection thing. I won;t give the member's name I have just seen it on to remind me, but it seems to appear if no other part of the address is given. It's the full postcode too.

winestein Wed 04-Jul-07 23:56:41

So to answer Codoverneer, it would be Cod has been a member since BC 204. She lives in M26 3PG (or whatever)

SaintGeorge Wed 04-Jul-07 23:57:03

Is it someone in the same geographic area as yourself? Maybe it is something to do with Mumsnet local and only visible to those with a postcode in the same area.

superchoccycake Wed 04-Jul-07 23:57:14

i wonder if its a mumsnet local thing?

i just checked my other name, and my details arent they, but am trasckable to town and street name (very long street) already due to media work we do.

winestein Wed 04-Jul-07 23:58:18

Nope - last one was a long long way away. And I know which street she lives on and a very limited selection of numbers too. I checked I could access this info before posting this and it is really easy.

CodOVeneer Thu 05-Jul-07 00:06:40

Have looked at a whole load of profiles and haven't seen it on any.

winestein Thu 05-Jul-07 00:08:54

Yes, it's not on a whole load, but it is on quite a few - and I don't think they realise! I really don't want to publish their chat names here, now I have drawn attention to the fact, either.

Well. I do. But I won't

SaintGeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 00:10:07

There is a place for 'display your location as' on the public profile page. It doesn't fill in automatically from your postcode on Mumsnet local (I just tried), you have to fill it in manually. Most people put the town or county.

I suspect individual posters have chosen to put their postcode in there.

winestein Thu 05-Jul-07 00:13:11

Well, yes, that is a possibility then StG.
Perhaps people are unaware that it is easy to search postcodes then.

Still seems a little strange that someone would type in their full postcode as a "where you live" response though.

SaintGeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 00:15:22

If you look at that part of the profile page though, there is some small print there saying 'we have your location as ...' and your postcode is filled in if you have put it on the MN local page.

It does sort of look as if they are asking for your postcode IYSWIM

winestein Thu 05-Jul-07 00:16:58

I have only noticed it pretty recently - I wonder if it is a bit of a glitch after Mumsnet Local?

SaintGeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 00:19:03

"On your registration details, we have the following postcode stored: ab11cd. If this is not correct, you can correct it on your registration details page. If you'd like to find other Mumsnetters in your area, or allow them to find you, we need your postcode. It will also allow you to search for local attractions in your area - a feature which is coming soon.
Display your location as:..."

Very misleading phrased like that I think. Whatever you put in that box then comes up as 'lives in ...' on your profile.

Albert Thu 05-Jul-07 01:08:36

How do I check my profile? Also I want to see someone elses profile as there is someone else here who I think I know and I want to see if there is anything on the profile to confirm it.

Tech (MNHQ) Thu 05-Jul-07 01:59:01

Hi StG,
We'll take all mention of postcodes off that page. It could be misleading.....

Tech (MNHQ) Thu 05-Jul-07 02:02:07

sorry, bit button happy. Meant to say "could be misleading as you say".

We've taken that off now so the box just says "display your location as"

Tech (MNHQ) Thu 05-Jul-07 03:10:10

I've also taken the liberty of clearing the second half of the postcode from those that were showing full codes. So they should now be showing only the first half I mean, which is much less specific.

winestein Thu 05-Jul-07 16:46:12

Great detective work SaintGeorge!
Do you know ScoobyDoo?

SaintGeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 16:51:59

2nd cousin twice removed

Well done for spotting the postcodes in the first place.

And hoorah for Tech for sorting it so quickly.

winestein Thu 05-Jul-07 17:01:56

Oh yes.... poor old Tech - always the bridesmaid, never the bride....

Hoorah for Tech!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: