Talk

Advanced search

I didn't get my news round up from morningpaper last week

(24 Posts)
anorak Tue 03-Jul-07 08:40:09

I read somewhere that she has revamped it - have I been lost in the change by any chance?

Boredveryverybored Tue 03-Jul-07 08:41:02

I didn't get one either now I think about it.

MamaG Tue 03-Jul-07 08:45:49

I didn't either!

LadyTophamHatt Tue 03-Jul-07 08:55:57

me neither......

Miaou Tue 03-Jul-07 09:00:15

I got mine ... LTH I'll email it to you

anorak Tue 03-Jul-07 12:14:02

bump

MamaG Tue 03-Jul-07 12:14:34

<<drums fingers>>

LadyTophamHatt Tue 03-Jul-07 14:20:54

thanks miaou, sorry m'dear I can't reply coz my email is playing up.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jul-07 11:27:18

We weren't aware of any problems but have let tech know about this and will let you know...

By the by, you can always view the latest round up here

TroyMcClure Wed 04-Jul-07 11:27:37

it was a poor one iirc

anorak Wed 04-Jul-07 11:27:52

Hello hello....

Hassled Wed 04-Jul-07 11:28:21

I didn't get one either

LIZS Wed 04-Jul-07 11:28:23

I think there were several of us on aol who didn't - has happened before.

anorak Wed 04-Jul-07 11:28:47

Aha cross posted!

Saw you were on another thread Justine and thought I might catch you. Thanks.

anorak Wed 04-Jul-07 11:29:46

Yes yes I am aol.

Tech (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jul-07 12:14:15

Hi, Yes it looks like AOL is rejecting mail from us at present. As someone says they've done it before. It happens because people join, get the newsletter, think "I don't remember asking for this" and then click "this is spam" in AOL rather than unsubscribing. AOL then blocks us altogether and locks out all other aol addresses from us.

We'll get on to them and see about getting un-blocked.

In the meantime, the latest version is always available here

Sorry for the hassles.

LIZS Wed 04-Jul-07 12:15:33

I still got the Parenting News though !?

Tech (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jul-07 12:20:33

The other confusing factor is that not all AOL's "mail exchangers" (the machines that accept mail for aol members) behave in the same way. So you might be lucky and get one that allows the mail through, you might not.... Once one of these blocks comes in though it will gradually spread to all of them, so we need to get it cleared.

The aol page that explains what's happening is here

anorak Wed 04-Jul-07 14:18:08

Thank you tech.

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 04-Jul-07 18:09:39

But as LIZS explained we got the news roundup on Thurs but not MPs on Fri .

Actually both were sent to spam the week before (MPs roundup didn't even make it to teh spam folder).

Are there any known probs with gmail? Could set my gmail address up as my registered address? (but I really want to stay with my usual AOL account as I check that daily)

Tech (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jul-07 19:01:47

Children of the AOL:

I've just spoken to someone at AOL and they've agreed to end the block, but they say it may take two business days for the change to fully propagate through their network. So people on AOL may have problems getting tomorrow's newsletter and Fridays MP roundup.

The latest versions are always at http://www.mumsnet.com/incase/pn1.html for the newsletter and http://www.mumsnet.com/talkround/roundup.html for the talk roundup.

SconesandMajesticSandwiches, it looks like the block came on after the newsletter was sent, but before MP's talk roundup. There are no problems with gmail.

On a general point, AOL is famously a law unto itself when it comes to delivering mail (or not) from outside AOL. A few of their requirements are outlined here. There are oodles of them.

We are in the process of applying to get on AOL's "whitelist", which should help, though last time we tried we got rejected so who knows. In this particular case, this page explains why they are blocking us currently.

LIZS Wed 04-Jul-07 19:32:39

hurrah !

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 04-Jul-07 19:53:29

TY.......so you think gmail might look after us 'AOL children' a little better than AOL then?

Tech (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jul-07 21:16:27

Gmail is certainly less fussy than AOL about receiving mail. AOL blocks mail with good reason, though. They are reputed to get billions of pieces of spam per day. There are so many aol members that spammers in the past have just run robots trying random words @aol.com as email addresses, figuring that a fair proportion will work. It's no skin off the spammer's nose to try. So in turn, AOL is very quick to block sites that send mail to them in any volume, to protect their network from getting swamped, and to try ensure legitimate mail gets through. We just get caught in the crossfire sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now