Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet local - don't want to sound cynical but there are some very obvious 'ads' disguised as recommendations

(15 Posts)
filthymindedvixen Mon 25-Jun-07 10:28:26

?

Is there not some way of separating bona fide recommendations, from blatant plugs for small businesses at home? Or am I just being uncharitable and grumpy today? (I blame the weather)

BegoneGremlinsQV Mon 25-Jun-07 10:29:25

fmf....I havent seen what you mean, but, will check out my area...

Marina Mon 25-Jun-07 10:29:40

Ah, would that be some of the childcare ones FMV...for example? I was a bit surprised too tbh
What they need is some (hopefully concurring) comments from people who are happy customers

mumzarello Mon 25-Jun-07 10:44:09

I agree - have reported a few will let MN decide if suitable or not (maybe I am also uncharitable - definately grumpy!!!)

BegoneGremlinsQV Mon 25-Jun-07 10:46:53

I think they should be allowed to post there - not so bothered whether they should pay - i just think they should be separated from the Local listings and put in Classified instead.

Eight Mon 25-Jun-07 10:49:22

If they are providing a service in the local area, I don't see a problem, tbh.
Even places like indoor play centres are usually privately owned, and therefore out to make profit.
I don't see how that is any different to home based businesses that have been added by their owners.
I would be unhappy if false recommendations were added, however.
But it's really no different than using yell.com and taking your chances with whether or not the company is reputable.

JoolsToo Mon 25-Jun-07 10:50:36

what is mumsnet local?

Eight Mon 25-Jun-07 10:51:24

By 'false recommendations' I don't mean the listing itself, but if people have added positive comments about the business or service, when they actually own it themselves.

Marina Mon 25-Jun-07 11:24:51

Well mostly stuff like restaurants has been suggested by Mners Eight, whereas some of the childcare ones are put there by the service providers themselves
I think a separate distinct category for Classifieds is the best solution - having the listings is fine by me.

filthymindedvixen Mon 25-Jun-07 11:32:33

I think there may be a separate classifieds section, but I have noticed some entries masquerading as 'recomendations' when (as someone who used to write advertorial content for newspapers, not many punters are going to write stuff like ''you are assured of a warm welcome at Bogmire's premier Family Pub, the Fruit Shoot etc. (I made that one up btw ''

It's just not going to be quite as helpful as I'd imagined if you have to have your BS detector on full as you search for a nice place for sunday lunch etc.

And some listings are very much time, place, opeing hours and no idea about what to expect if you actually venture there. I suppose this is a plea to Mumsnetters to tell it how it is if they are recommending a place.

Perhaps this is the downside of using 'add something to MN local in order to be entered into this week's competition' as a tactic...

flibbertyjibbet Mon 25-Jun-07 11:51:00

filthy, I agree completely. The other week someone was raving about some slippers from a website, I asked if it was her own website and suddenly no more comments on the thread and no response from OP.
You can pay about £30 per month for a mumsnet small ad but some prefer to sneak on free and pretend to be raving about say a maternity wear website they have 'found' when really its their own. Not on imo when there is a place to do it and a charge for doing so.

BegoneGremlinsQV Mon 25-Jun-07 13:32:48

Absolutely, filthy. I think its disengenuous to post about your own business as though you are a buyer/purchaser, rather than seller/owner.

I have no problem with folk listing their businesses AT ALL, but, in the right place.

bettythebuilder Mon 25-Jun-07 14:27:11

There is a classified section on MN local (I looked for ages and couldn't find any info about a fee, presume it's free to list) Could any 'advertising' submissions be moved into the classifieds section, or would that be too difficult to moderate?

<<btw, is The Fruit Shoot Family Pub local, it sounds lovely?>>

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Jun-07 18:58:09

Ok first off JoolsToo where have you been ? Everyone's been talking about local dahling... you can find your Local Mumsnet site here and if you want to find out about taking charge of your Local local check out this thread

OK plug over

There are local classifieds - so if you wanted to sell a sofa or bed or something bulky and/or that needs to be checked over it would make sense to sell on your local site and it's free - same as on regular Talk. You'll find classifieds under Latest local listings, next block down should be
Latest classifieds. You should also be able to advertise a small business there too - for the same fee as on Talk.

As to how we stop the blatant self promotionalists, well it's tricky! As long as it's useful to local folks, for the time being, I think we give contributors the benefit of the doubt, but if it looks seriously fishy then the best thing to do is report it to Mumsnet HQ (using the red exclamation mark, same as on Talk) and we'll take a look AND/ OR go and check out the restaurant/ playcentre/ business yourself and report back on Local with some good old fashioned Mumsnet feedback.

Open to other suggestions if you have them

Thanks for feedback

MNHQ

FluffyMummy123 Mon 25-Jun-07 18:58:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now