Talk

Advanced search

Deliberate misgendering - will MN do anything to discourage it?

(202 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SuperDandy Wed 21-Feb-18 08:28:11

I've reported a lot of posts lately for deliberate misgendering of individuals, but MN seems not to do anything about it ever.

Pick any thread you like that's relates to transgender in any way, and up pop the deliberate and persistent misgendering posters. It's bullying, and it's transphobic.

I'd really like to know what mn's position is on this.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Wed 21-Feb-18 08:29:28

Correct sexing you mean? Why should we be forced to call blue red, when we all know red is red and blue is blue?

treaclesoda Wed 21-Feb-18 08:31:22

That's like insisting that people should accept that cats are actually dogs, and anyone who says that a cat is actually a cat is being deliberately offensive.

InfiniteSheldon Wed 21-Feb-18 08:34:48

I've seen zero misgenderingI have seen a refusal by women to be bullied, belittled and sidelined.

TerfyMcTerface Wed 21-Feb-18 08:36:07

You want to impose a policy of compelled speech? For people to have to say something they don’t believe in?

treaclesoda Wed 21-Feb-18 08:37:26

It's like 1984...

CiderwithBuda Wed 21-Feb-18 08:38:00

I’ve no idea what this even means. What on earth is misgendering?

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Wed 21-Feb-18 08:38:58

I'm not a Trans activist/sympathiser or supporter In any way shape or form. But, I agree. The way India Willoughby was spoken about on here was disgusting, she's an absolute fool and I dislike her intensely, but the opportunity to use a male pronoun at every opportunity was pathetic. It was like a pack of school bullies who self righteously find a 'justification' to bully someone ... and then absolutely revel in it. Yuk.

This thread has reminded me why I'm not as keen on MN anymore.

CanIBuffalo Wed 21-Feb-18 08:40:28

For some people the cognitive dissonance involved in calling a he a she outweighs our ability to be 'polite'.

In my case I can try to wrestle the dissonance in real life but it's like askibg me to state that the earth is flat because someone believes it to be so. With the best will in the world, my face probably gives away the truth of how I feel.

I can be bother

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Wed 21-Feb-18 08:41:20

Cider...misgendering would be to call Dave here a man.

CanIBuffalo Wed 21-Feb-18 08:41:24

Sorry...
I can be bothered to try because I pity and love the member of my family who is presenting as the opposite sex.

RaininSummer Wed 21-Feb-18 08:41:46

I think any so called misdgendering is when the person in question is known for disrespect towards women. Calling someone by their chosen, wrong sex, pronouns, is something done to be kind, to support the delusion, not because of actual belief that the dog is now a cat. Many women are now too angry to collude with this.

relaxitllbeok Wed 21-Feb-18 08:42:33

It's really hard to see how misgendering, in the form of using someone's non-preferred third person pronouns, can be bullying. The person isn't present when it's done - otherwise it would be second person pronouns being used!

I certainly hope MN don't have a policy of forcing posters to use or not use particular ordinary words about someone because they don't like them. Fair enough to forbid words that are generally offensive, but not words that are only deemed offensive to an individual because of that individual's preferences.

Noloudnoises Wed 21-Feb-18 08:43:57

OP sadly you and I are in the minority on MN which I find really bizarre. I completely don't understand how people are so threatened. The nastiness is worrying. The more the merrier I say. Completely pro-trans everything over here!

Flomper Wed 21-Feb-18 08:44:45

Maybe it will when very vocal trans individuals stop deliberately calling women ciswomen, which is deeply offensive to women, and telling them they have a phobia, when they don't.

ToothTrauma Wed 21-Feb-18 08:45:30

I’m with you OP. I hide multiple threads a day (and have hidden the whole feminism board) because of the vicious transphobia on MN. I don’t understand why it’s allowed.

BiologyMatters Wed 21-Feb-18 08:48:58

If the person in question is male we should be allowed to call him a man. I don't believe that a man can become a woman by saying he feels like one. I don't believe in gender and i don't prescribe to the demands of the trans ideology cult.

As someone said above. Correct sexing not misgendering.

shakeyourcaboose Wed 21-Feb-18 08:49:21

Agree with @flomper. And yes OP the constant misgendering by the use of the term 'cis' is awful, am so glad you are challenging this!

Flomper Wed 21-Feb-18 08:51:18

I happily call my post-op MTF trans friend she because she it comittedly and happily living as a woman after years of hormones, therapy and surgery. Also, she's not trying to deliberately offend me or erode my rights.

Im not going to call MRAs like LM and their ilk she or her because I dont believe they are women or even want to live as women. I think they are pretending to be women to gain infamy and notoriety and to give them a reason to bully and intimidate women ( ie behave like men) as a result of whatever messed up childhoods they had as non gender conforming men. Shame they cant find more constructive ways of acting like men.

Phosphorus Wed 21-Feb-18 08:51:40

It isn't transphobia to state that a person can't just magically change sex.

All the surgery in the world can't alter the fact that it's purely a cosmetic change.

A male can't become a woman, and a woman can't become a man. It's basic biology.

CiderwithBuda Wed 21-Feb-18 08:53:07

Thanks TellsEveryone. Looks like a man to me. Will google him.

I have been reading some of the trans stuff on here. Not enough obviously!

Omgineedanamechange Wed 21-Feb-18 08:54:45

I agree OP, when are MN going to stop people referring to me as cis.

Oh wait, you mean it’s only wrong when directed at trans people right? Us women should just STFU.

harlaandgoddard Wed 21-Feb-18 08:56:03

Totally agree OP. Anyone who does this means to offend, it’s painfully obvious.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Wed 21-Feb-18 08:58:20

Thanks TellsEveryone. Looks like a man to me. Will google him

No problem. Of course all the people in here agreeing with the OP, and the OP, see a woman apparently.

coconutlimesmoosh Wed 21-Feb-18 09:01:22

Pick any thread you like that's relates to transgender in any way, and up pop the deliberate and persistent misgendering posters. It's bullying,

if you mean consistently calling us cis women, you are dead right. Could you campaign for that to stop then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: