Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask MNHQ to get rid of that bloody advert?

(46 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Gruach Wed 14-Feb-18 08:41:56

So annoying! It's flashed up five times since I started this. And deleted a post I was writing elsewhere. Please make it stop!

It's Google I think ... And I'm on the mobile site on an iphone.

YetAnotherUser Wed 14-Feb-18 09:19:49

Adblock ;)

Tiddlywinks63 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:22:51

Adblock doesn't stop the majority of the sodding adverts on here. I'm fedup with trying to get rid of them taking up the top third/half of the page on my iPad.

Gruach Wed 14-Feb-18 09:27:27

This one isn't a top of the page thing. It just flashes up randomly, replacing the MN page I'm reading. And if I've been drafting a post it's gone when I go back to the relevant page. angry

imonaplane Wed 14-Feb-18 09:30:25

This keeps happening to me too. The Google homepage just appears without me doing anything.

Boxerlover1958 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:32:48

I’ve had this too and it’s really annoying

Gruach Wed 14-Feb-18 09:33:57

Have reported my failure to put this in Site Stuff!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 14-Feb-18 09:35:18

Oh! I thought I was pressing back without realising or something imonaplane but maybe I'm not. There's no rhyme or reason to it happening angry

Gruach It might be worth reporting this thread & getting it moved to 'Site Stuff' MN are usually pretty good at responding & fixing ad issues.

theloniousmonk Wed 14-Feb-18 09:35:52

Yes I agree far to many adverts in the last couple of weeks. Is MN trying to make a killing through ads now. hmm It really does detract from the site.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 14-Feb-18 09:36:04

X post re site stuff because I'm a slow typer & a baby is biting my boob

AnoiaUnstickMyDrawers Wed 14-Feb-18 09:37:37

Oh! I thought I just had fat fingers!

YetAnotherUser Wed 14-Feb-18 09:44:08

Adblock doesn't stop the majority of the sodding adverts on here.

Does on my Android :D

Not an ad to be seen here.

MrsPreston11 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:58:03

What advert? The only ones I get are just for websites I've been to.

VQ1970 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:02:12

I kept getting that last night on my iPad - google homepage would appear randomly. I thought it was me doing something stupid!

handyforpicnics Wed 14-Feb-18 10:03:04

Websites and search engine providers don't like users to get comfortable, and change things around every so often meaning any strategies you have found to minimise ad irritation stop working and have to be reviewed.

My employers encounter this kind of tactic frequently because we are also on the other side and try to optimise our online visibility.

Fromage Wed 14-Feb-18 10:43:04

It really pisses me off when a thread has a banner advert across the top that doesn't FTFO when I scroll down (laptop) It sits there blocking text.

I often just skim or close the threads. It's like reading through a letterbox.

Highly annoying - can you not just stick the adverts on the side?

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Feb-18 11:05:17

Hi folks,

We're just moving this thread over to site stuff. Can anyone provide a screenshot of the ad?

LaconicIcon Wed 14-Feb-18 11:09:33

Oh phew, I thought it was just me. I checked for anyone else having the same problem yesterday and this is the first I've seen

Bubblesblue Wed 14-Feb-18 11:10:27

Ahh I had this too. Also thought I was pressing something/ fat fingers. Its happened about 3 times. I couldn't understand it!
Hard to screenshot when it's literally the Google homepage. There's no warning of it.

Gruach Wed 14-Feb-18 11:42:13

Excellent.

I wonder if it will disappear now ...

Boxerlover1958 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:12:02

Gruach, funnily enough it hasn’t happened to me since you first posted!

theloniousmonk Wed 14-Feb-18 12:24:03

YetAnotherUser, thanks! I have just installed adblock and it looks good!

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Feb-18 13:38:43

Hi folks,

Is this a popup? Does it look a bit dodgy? Or is it an actual advert that looks quite official?

Please do let us know - any screenshots are really useful.

We're aware of some popup issues at the moment and our ads team are working hard to identify and fix the issue, so if it's a popup thing then just hang on in there - it should be sorted very soon. flowers

EmpressOfJurisfiction Wed 14-Feb-18 13:43:03

Hi Lorna

Do your SEO / ads people know about this? techcrunch.com/2018/02/14/how-chromes-built-in-ad-blocker-will-work-when-it-goes-live-tomorrow/?ncid=rss

From the 15th, Chrome will automatically block all ads on a site if one ad breaks Google guidelines.

Gruach Wed 14-Feb-18 16:27:25

Well, I haven't seen it since you appeared LornaM.grin

Not complaining ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: