Talk

Advanced search

Why am I seeing local posts for other areas?

(12 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

StealthPolarBear Fri 09-Feb-18 12:28:30

I've just seen one for Tower hamlets and I'm nowhere near London.
They only seem to pop up once and I don't see them again.
Just to be clear this is not a complaint and is not causing me an attack of the pink vapours I'm just curious as it seems to be a recent thing

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 12:43:40

Hi there Stealth,

Our Talk pages thought you might like a holiday?... OK, no. Ahem. Sorry.

Local Talk pages should be recognising where you are and showing you threads relevant to your area, but from what you say that's not working terribly well!

We're going to ask Tech if they can give us any more info on why it's happening and whether there's something you can do to call your Local pages back to heel.

In the meantime, could you possibly screenshot any pages where you're getting random local pages flashed at you and send them in? If Tech can see what you're looking at when it's happening it might help them sort it out.

Thanks for your patience. And sorry about this! We promise it won't be easier to simply move house!

StealthPolarBear Fri 09-Feb-18 12:46:17

Will do and seriously its not a problem! It just caught my notice as different

StealthPolarBear Fri 09-Feb-18 12:53:29

Here. This one is Birmingham. I'm in the north east. 'proper' local ones seem to hang about longer, popping up in my active as people post on them. Others just come up once then vanish.

merlottime Fri 09-Feb-18 12:58:56

I have the same problem. I am in Redhill and work in London, the latest local ones I have had have been Bolton, Crosby and Tynecastle. Never been near any of these in my life!

ScreamingValenta Fri 09-Feb-18 13:06:08

I've had a couple of London ones pop up - I'm using Safari. I'm nowhere near London.

MermaidCafe Fri 09-Feb-18 13:06:17

Me too. I'm in Yorkshire and the one popping up is holidays clubs in Cambridge.

ScreamingValenta Fri 09-Feb-18 13:07:28

... like earlier posters, they aren't troubling me at all grin. Only mentioning this to help with your tech diagnosis.

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 10-Feb-18 09:37:45

Right. We definitely need to arrange some sort of mass Mumsnet house swap here, don't we?

Gah! We're so sorry about this. Do continue to post screenshots if you have time (thanks for yours, Stealth) and we'll pass them all on to Tech to help them nail down what's happening.

Thanks again for your patience.

Hebe
MNHQ
Baku, Azerbaijan

Maplessglobe Sat 10-Feb-18 09:41:20

This is also happening to me. And if I do try to post on my local board, then my main MN username comes up rather than my local one. I’ve already been in touch about this and it was fixed and then reverted again. It puts me off posting in local.

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 10-Feb-18 09:49:12

Ooh - update from Tech. It's not great news, we're afraid.

It's not that Local is recognising you as being in the wrong area, apparently. It's just showing you the most recent active local threads across the UK at the moment.

It is something Tech are looking at sorting out so at some point you should find it stops but they don't have a timeframe for it at the moment we're afraid.

So hopefully that at least answers your question. Hope having a compulsory tour of the UK via Mumsnet isn't too annoying in the meantime.

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Feb-18 09:53:53

Life is barely worth living ;)
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now