Talk

Advanced search

PBPs

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 08-Feb-18 15:12:10

If when we report threads MN can tell they are by PBPs, then is it possible for MN to put in a check on registration to prevent PBPs from signing up?

I'm thinking you might use the email address or IP address of a computer/phone or something to tell who is a PBP, in which case wouldn't it be technically possible to check when people sign up?

Or is it not that simple?

PanPanPanPing Thu 08-Feb-18 15:32:02

Presumably MNHQ has some systems in place to check out PBPs - as and when reports come in to them.

Although I imagine that it can't be too difficult to reregister.

I guess the answer you'll get from MNHQ is TSSDNCOP though.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 08-Feb-18 15:33:04

TSSDNCOP?

PanPanPanPing Thu 08-Feb-18 15:34:56

The secret service does not comment on procedure!

PanPanPanPing Thu 08-Feb-18 15:36:15

... frequently used by MNHQ a few years ago when The West Wing was the TV series du jour!

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Feb-18 15:37:24

TSSDNCOP <Taps nose>

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Feb-18 15:40:17

Kidding, of course...

Thanks for flagging this one, OP.

We have many methods for catching PBPs and when they do manage to reregister, we try and get to them as quickly as we can - damage limitation etc.

We can't share too much information because we don't want to give any ideas away, but we're always working on making our ability to catch PBPs stronger.

paxillin Thu 08-Feb-18 17:27:24

I suppose the detection only starts once posts get reported, otherwise running background checks would be a bit laborious.

PanPanPanPing Thu 08-Feb-18 18:05:27

I would imagine so, realPax!!!

paxillin Fri 09-Feb-18 00:11:42

grin Real indeed. I would even whisper that most PBP won't do much harm, since they presumably know why they were banned, but badly want to be here. Consequently I'd assume there'd be no repeat. Unless they are pervs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now