Talk

Advanced search

Banner ads travelling down with the page, ruining MN on my tablet!

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

FlashTheSloth Fri 12-Jan-18 22:54:20

MNHQ, this is really ridiculous, and only seems to be a recent thing. I'm scrolling down the page on my tablet and I have a massive banner ad across the top that moves down tne page with my scrolling. Once I have the keyboard open, I only have a few cm of screen visible. I've installed an ad blocker now and it's still doing it.

Can you fix this? If not then it's ruin MN completely and I probably won't bither with it anymore.

Also the bit that pops up at the bottom of the screen everytime you navigate to a different screen needs to go as well. That is also a recent addition, and not something that improves the site.

AwkwardSquad Sat 13-Jan-18 19:12:38

Yes, I’ve noticed this as well - it’s really annoying.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jan-18 09:56:00

Hi both,

Really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and so sorry for any hassle it has been causing. The last thing we want is for anyone's usability to be affected by adverts so we'll do our best to get to the bottom of this.

Can we ask what device/browser you're both using? And if possible, a screenshot of this happening?

AwkwardSquad Mon 15-Jan-18 20:37:26

Hello Lorna. I’m using an iPad Air 2. I’ll get a screenshot.

AwkwardSquad Mon 15-Jan-18 20:42:19

Here’s a couple of examples.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jan-18 10:40:59

Hi all,

Just a little update here. This is as a result of a new format we're testing on desktop. It's a fixed leaderboard, which is the rectangular ad at the top of the page which stays in place as you scroll down. We currently have these in place on the mobile site, but not on desktop.

We're listening to all feedback in these early stages so please do leave all thoughts here.

StopTheRoundabout Tue 16-Jan-18 10:44:40

I have the same problem. It's really annoying. I think the desktop version is worse and the ads are very intrusive when scrolling/reading.

AwkwardSquad Tue 16-Jan-18 19:35:14

My feedback is that I dislike it very much so please don’t introduce it grin

To me, it signals a poorly designed, low quality content website that is focused on monetising its audience rather than relationship development. I tend not to linger on such websites.

FlashTheSloth Wed 17-Jan-18 11:38:19

Hate it. Here is my example. Don't introduce it please. Can you get rid of the constant pop up at the bottom of the screen asking to make it mobile friendly every single time you navigate to another screen too?

FlashTheSloth Wed 17-Jan-18 11:39:04

Oh and I'm using chrome on a samsung galaxy tab 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now