Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know why I am getting just about every thread I've ever posted on showing on 'I'm on?'

(21 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

magpiemischief Thu 07-Dec-17 21:50:08

I'm sure it used to be just the most recently active ones.

Have MN changed this feature?

BrownTurkey Thu 07-Dec-17 22:17:07

I don’t know, but when I was on the app the other day, every single thread showed a deletion message when I clicked it. I thought wow, someone has been trolling about some rather dull topics all over mumsnet. Then I went on the website and all the threads were normal.

magpiemischief Thu 07-Dec-17 22:24:58

Oh, yes. Normal on website here too. Problems with the app then.

SkeletalFishtail Thu 07-Dec-17 22:30:10

Oh same here! On the app and all threads I've been on in past months and months are there! Weird. Even from previous name changes

cheekymofo Thu 07-Dec-17 22:31:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magpiemischief Thu 07-Dec-17 22:39:52

Yes, it is a bit disconcerting. I've posted on so much!

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Dec-17 12:07:13

Hi folks!

Is this the Android or Iphone app?

Sorry for any faff it's causing - we'll look into it and see if we can get this sorted.

cheekymofo Fri 08-Dec-17 13:26:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magpiemischief Fri 08-Dec-17 16:28:37

I'm using the app on an iPad.

Scootergrrrl Fri 08-Dec-17 16:35:19

Oooh, this happened to me too. Although to confuse things further, the app is normal on my iPad but showing up every single thread I’ve ever posted on on my iPhone app. I’m quite relieved I’ve moved on from having to post so regularly on sleep threads grin

HashtagTired Fri 08-Dec-17 16:57:49

Same here. (iPhone). Noticed it this morning, still the same now. A tad annoying and making my "I'm on" folder look messy 🙄

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Dec-17 17:42:09

Hey guys, thanks for raising this. We've been trialling extending the TIO feature to include all posts in the apps.

Only showing recent TIO has been very confusing for a lot of users, because you expect to see all the threads you've posted.

If you haven't already, let us know what you think!

magpiemischief Fri 08-Dec-17 18:12:14

Well this feature is problematic if you have been on here for years or post a lot. I cannot even scroll down to the bottom! And you get longer threads appearing, that you have not posted on for months, because someone has posted on an old thread. Not sure if I like that aspect either. Pro - I might find it interesting, con - it junks up amongst my most recent posts. Perhaps if there was an option to select of deselect, this feature, at the top of the page? That would give added functionality.

addler Fri 08-Dec-17 18:52:53

I was one of the users who asked about extending TIO because I felt it was dropping off too soon.

Is there a happy medium though? And still bringing an old thread back if there's a new post on it, as sometimes it's relevant and it doesn't happen very often to be so annoying.

minisoksmakehardwork Fri 08-Dec-17 23:53:31

I wondered why really old threads had suddenly appeared. Personally I do not like it. I am quite capable of finding a thread I regularly post on if it drops off, or putting it in watched threads until I don't need it anymore.

I don't however need to see 2 year old threads about neighbours complaining about breast pump noises. I'm pretty sure that will have resolved itself one way or another. Also; product test threads which have been long since closed.

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Dec-17 11:47:07

Thanks for your detailed feedback guys!

The TIO list was limited originally as a hack, because we didn't have paging on the app. This meant that it would otherwise always load all threads you'd ever posted on, which would be super-slow, and heck, maybe even potentially crash a server or two.

The modern way of accessing a big list, is to use the 'infinite scroll paging', which we've now implemented in every thread list in the app. Meaning you can see old TIO if you really want, but they won't be loaded unless you scroll down.

For many of our new users, it's very disorientating to have an unwritten rule where TIO will randomly disappear, when other apps/forums/social networks will always allow you to see a list of every post or thread you've ever made. Consistency with 'what a new user expects' is an important part of the product development process.

Adding a setting to limit TIO, is unfortunately going to be too awkward to fit in the app, since simplicity is really essential. However I appreciate it's irritating when old threads are pushed to the top because of new posts.

So, would this feature be helpful?
The option to order TIO threads by 'most recently active' (default) or by 'how recently I last posted'

If enough Mumsnetters would find it helpful, I'll get working on it.

magpiemischief Mon 11-Dec-17 12:00:09

Yes, I think that option would be helpful.

minisoksmakehardwork Mon 11-Dec-17 12:26:31

Definitely the option to order them by how recently I posted would be great. Otherwise threads I've given up on but others keep posting on would bump my own interests further down if it was only by most recently active.

addler Mon 11-Dec-17 12:49:16

Yes that would be really great Tim!

addler Mon 11-Dec-17 12:50:02

Thanks for the explanation as well. It's always good to know why things are/aren't possible and the limitations of the app.

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 14-Dec-17 18:14:47

Great ok thanks guys, I'll get working on something and let you know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: