Talk

Advanced search

Ads with SOUND??? MN are you having a flipping laugh???!!!!

(17 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TalkinBoutWhat Wed 06-Dec-17 13:23:06

Seriously, WHY would you put ads onto thread pages that have SOUND???

I use headphones on my computer, and popped over onto MN without taking my headphones off and just got BLASTED with the ad for the sponsored Star Wars ad. Jumped bloody sky high. WHY would you do this????????

CaptainKirkssparetupee Wed 06-Dec-17 13:24:21

Money.

TalkinBoutWhat Wed 06-Dec-17 13:36:36

Sadly, I agree CaptainKirk.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 06-Dec-17 13:54:37

I've noticed this too - it's seriously annoying! Whoever is doing is should know it's counterproductive because not only do I immediately turn the sound down, I also have a negative opinion of the advertiser.

SquirrelPlantedBeech Wed 06-Dec-17 14:38:16

Awful. How am I supposed to read MN when I'm at work?

grin

And on a serious note, I also find that certain styles of advertising lead me to have a negative opinion of the advertiser.

SophieLMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Dec-17 15:04:34

Sorry about this!

Would anyone be able to screenshot it for us so we can send it to our ads team to take a look?

If you could also let us know which browser you're using, that would be really helpful. flowers

TalkinBoutWhat Wed 06-Dec-17 17:20:55

How do you screen shot sound???

I got out of that thread as fast as I bleeding well could.

Microsoft Edge.

I've noticed it a couple of times now with MN. My headphones are usually sitting on my desk so I hear this vague noise coming from them and realise it's an ad on the page. Not every page though.

This time it blasted my ear drums....not happy.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Wed 06-Dec-17 18:37:21

It's the standard response to complaints about ads talking, regardless of the actual complaints.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 06-Dec-17 21:01:40

As Talkin said, we can't screenshot it, it's a sound. I'm using Chrome.

SinisterBumFacedCat Thu 07-Dec-17 09:28:09

Lol at screenshots of sound!

They real do listen don't they? grin

SophieLMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Dec-17 10:03:58

Sorry, we meant screenshot the ad that was creating the sound! We've found the bugger, anyhow - the ads team are working on it. Thanks again for flagging. flowers

TalkinBoutWhat Thu 07-Dec-17 11:56:40

I hope so Sophie. I LOATHE ads with sound on them. I won't stay on a website that thinks it has the right to talk at me.

MyRelationshipIsWeird Fri 08-Dec-17 09:49:55

I was only thinking this morning how nice it is that those massive banner ads have gone and I can actually read a thread properly.

Just had the absolute shit scared out of me by a video ad though! Happily browsing some threads and suddenly there's an ad blaring sound at me - couldn't figure out whether it was the banner ad at the top of the page or further down. Desperately scrolling to work out which was making the noise - really loud action soundtrack type music which I eventually realised was an eBay ad with Star Wars stuff in it.

Now actually shaking from the shock of it. Cut it out MN!

I'm on my laptop on Google Chrome.

Nyx1 Fri 08-Dec-17 09:53:14

I had the opposite - it suddenly started playing without headphones and was really frikking loud and I nearly woke everyone else! I didn't think I had any sound ads enabled.

senua Sun 10-Dec-17 22:38:46

We've found the bugger, anyhow - the ads team are working on it.

Are they still working on it, because I've just had my ears blasted out by Star Wars again.angry

MyRelationshipIsWeird Tue 12-Dec-17 10:25:34

Yep I had it again yesterday. It’s making me feel stabby towards EBay and Star Wars, so not really fulfilling its purpose!

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Dec-17 10:47:09

Thanks for keeping us updated and of course, sorry for the nuisance! We're just waiting for news from the adops team with regards to a timescale for the fix. We've given them a little nudge and will post as soon as we know more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now