Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is the 'we depend on advertising to keep the lights on' a ^little^ annoying?

(107 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

hiddley Mon 23-Oct-17 23:44:59

From a multi million pound enterprise? Preying on sometimes vulnerable women? So that you can subject them to more advertising?

You're not a charity. We are not here in sympathy with you. We are here because you provide a forum you can make money from.

How can you compare 'keeping the lights on' in a multi-million pound business to a vulnerable poster who actually can't afford electricity?

Have you completely lost your soul? Because you'll lose all your minions soon if you don't change your tune.

hiddley Mon 23-Oct-17 23:50:46

Why don't you change your mission statement from 'aiming to make parents' lives easier' to 'aiming to get as much advertising revenue as we possibly can at all costs'. Seems more in line with your recent behaviour.

DesignedForLife Mon 23-Oct-17 23:52:12

What on earth are you talking about?

MayFayner Mon 23-Oct-17 23:53:55

I think you have to put this in "site stuff" for them to actually see it.

Or you could report yourself I suppose.

hiddley Mon 23-Oct-17 23:54:29

It's at the top of the page all day today.

"We rely on advertising to keep the lights on
Please add us to your whitelist"

ItsBouquetBUCKET Mon 23-Oct-17 23:55:26

What on earth are you talking about?
If you use adblocker that is appearing for some people on mumsnet.
Lots of websites use the same kind of wordingn, Lots of news sites especially, I'm meh about it, doesn't annoy me.

midnightmisssuki Mon 23-Oct-17 23:55:59

is it? i don't see it on mine hiddley?

MexicanBob Mon 23-Oct-17 23:56:12

YANBU. I agree it's bloody annoying the way the banner advert at the top keeps dropping down and blocking half my screen. Don't ask me what the ads are for - I never take them in. And what the hell is my "whitelist"?

hiddley Mon 23-Oct-17 23:56:46

Begging though? Trying to keep the lights on?

FluffyPineapple Mon 23-Oct-17 23:57:13

I cant see anything about keeping the lights on? Are you ok OP? Have you been drinking?

hiddley Mon 23-Oct-17 23:57:50

I don't use adblocker. This begging message appears followed by ads taking over half the page.

SallyVating Mon 23-Oct-17 23:58:38

It is annoying but it's less annoying than the bloody adverts

hiddley Mon 23-Oct-17 23:59:22

The message reads:

"We rely on advertising to keep the lights on
Please consider adding us to your whitelist"

ItsBouquetBUCKET Tue 24-Oct-17 00:00:35

. And what the hell is my "whitelist"?
Basically a list on your adblocker which is to say dont block ads in this page or allow partial ads

DropZoneOne Tue 24-Oct-17 00:01:44

It appears briefly before the ad loads at the top of the page. If you're using an ad blocker then you'll see it all the time. Was more obvious on the desktop site than the mobile.

I find the wording a bit unnecessary, as a PP said, it's not a charity.

Needingsomeadvice Tue 24-Oct-17 00:01:48

I see it. I don't even have ad-blockers on my PC - it's just a bit crap and slow so the message appears while the ads are still trying to load grin
To be fair, I tune a lot of them out but my eyes are drawn to a few.
I think YAB a bit U though. Mumsnet does do a lot of good, raises a lot of awareness and is a minefield of information. The fact that there are adverts isn't bothering me too much (yet!).

hiddley Tue 24-Oct-17 00:03:11

Well the adverts now take over half the page and you can't actually see half the posts because there is a tiny space. It possibly hasn't invaded the smartphones yet.

Anecdoche Tue 24-Oct-17 00:03:45

it's less annoying than having to pay to use the boards would be 😁

not that i would. im tighter than an ant's arsehole.

hiddley Tue 24-Oct-17 00:05:00

'to keep the lights on'? Hardly as if they can't afford electricity is it now?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 24-Oct-17 00:08:20

I have an adblocker. And see the message. And my message back is... I didn't block your ads. For ages. Then you made those intensely annoying side adverts that scrolled at a weird rate. So they were very hard to ignore, which was the point, I'm sure. But it made MN unreadable. So I blocked ads. If ads were targeted, subtle and unobtrusive, I wouldn't have an adblocker.

Anecdoche Tue 24-Oct-17 00:08:36

well no. but they dont literally mean lights.
it's just a turn of phrase. i dont care.

PixelLady42 Tue 24-Oct-17 00:09:19

'Keep the lights on' refers to the metaphorical little green blinking light that sits there at the front of a computer.

Do you know how much it costs to store all the data, user info, and software that makes up the website, never mind providing backups if something fails, paying for someone to develop the MN app, do website development etc.

Professional IT equipment and people aren't cheap and it costs a lot more than you'd expect to host a website and provide all the functionality that everyone can use. I'm happy to see the odd mostly unobtrusive advert if it means mn can provide a platform for virtual support for many women all around the uk and beyond.

BriechonCheese Tue 24-Oct-17 00:14:22

I don't use ad blocker on my iPad (is it possible to do so?) and have a weird white line across the top of my screen - on my computer (where I do use Adblock) this is where this ad/appeal appears.
I also have this weird, thin white line on my phone too.

mellicauli Tue 24-Oct-17 00:14:55

mumsnet is a minefield of information ..yup, tread carefully ladies!

ItsBouquetBUCKET Tue 24-Oct-17 00:16:41

Yes it's possible to get it on iPad, just grab an adblocker app from the App Store.
I have the line too, think it's the border of the ad is being served up, but no ad inside it as it's blocked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now