Talk

Advanced search

"We rely on advertising to keep the lights on ......"

(41 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

PanPanPanPing Mon 23-Oct-17 18:54:49

What the hell is this? It's impossible to take a screenshot.

Doesn't look good, MNHQ hmm

I'll need to use a second device to give you a pic.

PanPanPanPing Mon 23-Oct-17 19:04:21

Here it is. It pops up at the top of the screen for a few short seconds. Once it goes, it's hidden behind the top AdChoice box at the top of the screen.

Have you been hacked again?

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 23-Oct-17 19:07:50

My guess is that's the message people see if they're using an ad blocker.

BertieBotts Mon 23-Oct-17 19:08:53

Yeah I can see this, using adblock. When no ad loads the message just stays there.

It is actually better than the jumping.

PanPanPanPing Mon 23-Oct-17 19:17:19

Oh ... interesting! Thank you both Empress and Bertie!

clownfaces Mon 23-Oct-17 19:20:30

I'm not using an ad blocker but see this message before a bloody great advert loads. I'm not happy

katymac Mon 23-Oct-17 19:23:05

I'd rather pay £1 a week than have adverts

MarmaladeIsMyJam Mon 23-Oct-17 19:24:01

What do you mean it doesn't look good?
Mumsnet are just saying that the rely on advertising to help fund the site confused

PanPanPanPing Mon 23-Oct-17 19:25:48

Sorry. I should have added that I don't use Ad Blocker either - so I was a bit confused to see it too.

BertieBotts Mon 23-Oct-17 19:28:20

I think OP is saying that she's confused as to why she's seeing this message as she doesn't use an ad blocker.

clownfaces Mon 23-Oct-17 19:30:02

And this hell

PanPanPanPing Mon 23-Oct-17 19:32:07

Marmalade. What I meant was that I've never seen this message before. I was more concerned that there might have been a hacking issue for MN, because the message looks so ... well ... amateur.

I'm very well aware that MN relies on advertising to keep going. And I have no problems with MN selling advertising space to keep going.

I worked in the advertising industry for many years - I have no illusions about how it works hmm

FloatingCamel Mon 23-Oct-17 19:34:04

Sounds like your knowledge is a bit out of date then?

Artus Mon 23-Oct-17 19:35:52

Mumsnet is the only reason I began to use Adblocker - without it the site is unusable for me. Sort out the banner ads Mumsnet and then I will add you to my "whitelist"!

SaturnUranus Mon 23-Oct-17 19:37:47

I don't have an Ad-blocker but I'm getting this message too.

PanPanPanPing Mon 23-Oct-17 19:38:32

I'm sure you're correct, Floating! But I think this also relates to the other issue, also being currently discussed on Site Stuff, about the ads on the top of the page, which are jumping around between one and the other.

RaininSummer Mon 23-Oct-17 19:41:30

I struggled to read the site at all earlier as a giant advert obscured the whole page. Seems OK now on my tablet.

CotswoldStrife Mon 23-Oct-17 19:41:58

I've had this message today but I do use an ad blocker. I get similar messages from newspapers as well. Seems to be standard practice tbh, which is probably fair enough even if it is irritating.

Fekko Mon 23-Oct-17 19:42:48

That's like what the guardian has on its site. I'd be happy with a sub to weed out the bloody trolls, gas lighters and bots.

Hassled Mon 23-Oct-17 19:49:06

I have AdBlocker off for MN, except today when I enabled it because the big giant drop down screen-blocking ads were pissing me off so much. At one point (Chrome, desktop) half the page of a thread was obscured. It's a complete pain in the arse.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:38:14

Without an adblocker I find mn too difficult to use. But that message makes me laugh. I find it disingenuous to claim that they use ads purely to "keep the lights on" when in reality it's also about making profit. Not that I have a problem with that, just wish they were honest about it.

MilibandStoleMySonsName Mon 23-Oct-17 21:41:33

I'm having this wide banner every time I go to a new page. I don't have an ad blocker but it's so intrusive and annoying that it's encouraging me to find one.

SealSong Mon 23-Oct-17 22:32:02

If the adverts weren't so garish, distracting and hideous then I would not use adblocker.

MNHQ have made many people resort to adblocker by greedily squeezing in as many garish ads as possible. If they toned it back a bit it would be ok.

ToadTheVampireThreadKiller Mon 23-Oct-17 22:41:40

I use an adblocker on here because the ads make loading so slow and they take up so much room.

The current whitelist begging message is doing the same thing. It is not going to help the situation, it is just slowing the site down.

BertieBotts Mon 23-Oct-17 22:49:54

I use an adblocker to block the silly floaty bar thing, can't bear floaty bars. And because some of the ads which come up contain malware.

Sorry. Would love to whitelist otherwise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: