Talk

Advanced search

Constant bold fail on app

(59 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 18-Oct-17 12:20:39

Hi lovely MN people.

I am constantly having bold fail when I try to use the * method. Usually when I’m quoting another MNer. It’s starting to make me look slightly unhinged grin

I’m on iPhone 6s iOS 11.0.3

Not a massive problem but thought I’d raise it

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Oct-17 12:23:54

Hi there, is this when you're using the '*' in multiple places? Whenever the asterix is used, it will try to find a second to make the contents bold.

Could you show us an example post?

BitOutOfPractice Wed 18-Oct-17 13:03:34

Hello Tim. Here’s an example. It all looked perfect when I pressed “post” but those pesky asterixes (asteri?) don’t seem to stay put

BitOutOfPractice Wed 18-Oct-17 14:51:11

It’s doing it as I try to italicise now. Like I say, this also looked perfect before I pressed send

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-Oct-17 11:56:49

Thanks for the screenshots @BitOutOfPractice - I'm still struggling to reproduce exactly how you did this on the app.

I'm assuming you're using asterix and not the 'make bold' button? If you have the chance, could you:
1. Take a screenshot of the written post with asterix etc BEFORE posting
2. Then take a screenshot of the post AFTER posting

Apologies for the inconvenience, text formatting can be a bit of a minefield...

BitOutOfPractice Thu 19-Oct-17 14:02:10

This is what’s happening on the app today using the make bold button. It doesn’t look like that on the screen when I type it

daisychain01 Sun 22-Oct-17 17:52:51

I am also having formatting problems with strike through, which has completely stopped working with the upgraded iOS 11.0.3 on my iPad Air.

Using two hyphens together won’t work because iOS 11 autocorrects and joins the two hyphens into a single line

—embolden Fail—

If you insert a space between them it won’t work either.

Any way of changing it maybe to just one hyphen, not two?

LittleLights Sun 22-Oct-17 17:54:50

bold does this work

LittleLights Sun 22-Oct-17 17:55:23

Just testing as I downloaded the update for my phone this afternoon

tygr Sun 22-Oct-17 17:58:26

Having same issue with weird bolding and strikethrough not working.

Also on an iPhone SE and using the app.

daisychain01 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:15:13

I wonder if iOS 11 works differently on an iPad to an iPhone? I only use an iPad as my mobile is Galaxy Edge and no problems with formatting on the Edge.

tygr Sun 22-Oct-17 18:47:47

bold is ok but occasionally whole sections go bold that look fine in preview.

does this work

Can’t make strikethrough work at all.**

tygr Sun 22-Oct-17 18:48:34

Hmm. See random asterisks have appeared at the end.

BitOutOfPractice Sun 22-Oct-17 19:14:27

Not just me then!

daisychain01 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:34:07

Oops I just realised I actually meant —Strikethrough Fail— blush not embolden Fail

Bold is ok because it’s just one asterisk either side.

tygr Sun 22-Oct-17 20:56:59

Here we go. Didn’t screenshot this as was totally fine on preview. I put an asterisk either side of whisky to bold it. This is what happened.

AaaaaaaarrghmyGMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 24-Oct-17 12:40:18

Hello tygr - thanks for this. We'll get tech to look into it, if you're still having the issue?

tygr Tue 24-Oct-17 16:10:28

thanks I’m not sure so this is an experiment.** I just put one asterisk at the start of thanks and one after.**

Let’s see what happens when I post.**

tygr Tue 24-Oct-17 16:11:02

Yup. Still happening confused

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Oct-17 10:07:42

Hey guys, thanks so much for explaining the issue in detail. The root of the problem is pretty clear now.

I've developed a fix for the strikethrough bug, but the live-bold issue is more complex. Generally, it's really difficult to create a bug-free live preview, because there are so many edge-cases that need to be handled.

One way to resolve all of these bugs, is to remove the live editor, and just show the raw formatting like we do on the web, but I assume people prefer the live editor? Having to press preview every time could be frustrating.

Mrswinkler Wed 25-Oct-17 10:20:59

I have this problem too. Use the bold button then click it off. Next paragraph automatically goes bold. iPhone on the app.

tygr Thu 26-Oct-17 23:28:43

Tim.** Thanks.** This is where I test before unleashing my random boldness on the rest of the site.**

Hopefully all working now —or is it?--

tygr Thu 26-Oct-17 23:29:17

Um no. bold. No it appears it’s not working.

Oh dear.

tygr Thu 26-Oct-17 23:30:08

maybe it only goes wonky when the first word is in bold? Is that it site bugs?

tygr Thu 26-Oct-17 23:30:49

I give up

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now