Talk

Advanced search

To think MN has far too many chat catagories

(14 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

1DAD2KIDS Wed 11-Oct-17 07:22:10

When deciding with category to post a discussion on I find it difficult because there are so many categories it could fit under, maybe 3 or more. IMO there are possibly far too many categories, many sections harderly used or viewed. Also many people just use the AIBU section post a discussion and creatively edit the wording of the question to fit AIBU rather than use a more specific (but probably far less viewed) category appropriate to the nature of the discussion. I assume often for visibility. Would it not be better to rationalise and simplify the chat topics a bit?

eyebrowseyebrows Wed 11-Oct-17 07:35:13

I agree...it really needs to be simplified.

For example there is a 'property/DIY' topic and a 'home decoration' topic. They completely overlap, if you post in the latter it's very quiet compared to the former so no reason to have both IMO.

It could do with a bit of a housekeeping review. This is the kind of shit I like to do so maybe I should give each topic a review and make a proposal for people to comment on and then MNHQ to look at the final version?

AfunaMbatata Wed 11-Oct-17 07:37:24

They should cull the topics that haven’t been posted in for a year or so.

dudsville Wed 11-Oct-17 07:38:07

I agree with this! And might it result in fewer people posting in aibu for traffic?

Redredredrose Wed 11-Oct-17 07:39:19

Yes, I agree. Sometimes if you have an question or request, a topic/subforum seems very useful but then you realise no-one ever reads them or posts in them.

TizzyDongue Wed 11-Oct-17 07:40:21

Absolutely. It's mad - and there's frequently calls for more!!!!

SophieLMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Oct-17 09:43:54

Thanks for your suggestions, folks! Please do keep them coming. We're going to move this thread over to Site Stuff so that we can keep an eye on it. flowers

1DAD2KIDS Wed 11-Oct-17 10:18:11

Moved to site stuff. The irony being this is another conversation that will be lost in another sub section in the vat of catagories. Doubt there will be much traffic or opinion for MN to monitor on the subject now it's moved.

PandorasXbox Wed 11-Oct-17 10:24:36

You don’t have to look at the ones you don’t like or aren’t interested in though.

Not sure what the problem is.

BlueButTrue Wed 11-Oct-17 11:23:46

You don’t have to look at the ones you don’t like or aren’t interested in though

Not sure what the problem is

The problem is that a lot of topics/categories are a waste of time.

For example, Style and Beauty is really good - lots of lurkers on there who are into style and beauty/reply/know their stuff. That should stay.

But, for example, Baby Changing Bags? Silly topic, people would benefit far more from posting in Pregnancy etc

PandorasXbox Wed 11-Oct-17 11:30:24

But saying they are a waste of time doesn’t explain the problem with them being there, does it?

It’s not like you have to scroll through them all to get to your chosen topic!

1DAD2KIDS Wed 11-Oct-17 13:44:48

PandorasXbox surely most people if their looking for threads on a particular thing uses the search facility? I doubt anyone endlessly scrolling through all the of the many subject sub sections for what they are looking for. Items your looking for in a particular topic could be in reality spread across a few simular topics and/or sub sections. The volume of subjects and sub sections makes things difficult.

Also I think most people who contribute (often with very valid contributions) are not trawling through all the topics. They often are not looking for something particular but more just checking out the popular topics and/or the top active talk threads. For example if you wanted advice on whether or not remove an avocado bathroom suite you would get far more contributions on AIBU than you would on the home decoration topic. It's very much the same as selling items in a shop. Put things in a prominent place thing's will sell better than if they are hidden away.

TizzyDongue Thu 12-Oct-17 18:16:00

You don’t have to look at the ones you don’t like or aren’t interested in though

The problem isn't looking though. It's where to put things. As stated about some overlap. Or you get the problem where some topics are so broken down into topics that's there might not be anything what your post is about would fit into

ShirleyPhallus Thu 12-Oct-17 18:19:02

There was a thread on this a year ago and MNHQ said they were culling a load of topics then.....?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now