Talk

Advanced search

Is there a limit as to how many user names you can rotate between?

(14 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CampfireZen Tue 03-Oct-17 07:51:13

I post under a few different user names, depending on thread subject etc. (i.e. lighthearted issues versus, say, medical/ very personal issues) and swap back and forth accordingly.

Other MNers have mentioned they use a completely new identity for every single post on every different thread, as prefer not to risk their anonymity being compromised by AS.

Just wondered if there's any 'official' MN rule.
TIA smile

StillIInDenial Tue 03-Oct-17 07:59:44

Nope. I've got loads. I keep posting personal stuff or thinking about a really good name and seeing if it's available, and if it is I start using it.

You have to be careful not to use the wrong one on an old thread though. I made that mistake and got temporarily thrown off MN until I promised never to do it again emailed them to let me back in, explaining it was only a mistake.

ShowOfHands Tue 03-Oct-17 08:05:35

I've got around 100. Mostly used in the past for messing about when all round here were nowt but fields. 13 years worth of Easter, Christmas and Halloween names, take the piss names and facetious names.

WayUp Tue 03-Oct-17 08:07:32

I change my name every couple of days I must have hundreds and hundreds.

WayUp Tue 03-Oct-17 08:12:58

It is hard to remember to use your original name on a long thread. I also ended up with a temp ban. I'd mildly (but correctly wink) troll hunted so the ban was fair enough but they also mentioned the namechange shockshock. I was so frustrated as I'm usually really careful 😳. I don't understand why they don't or can't make it impossible to namechange on a thread. It would help with sock. puppeting and would make it easier for name changers.

I have one very long series of threads where I have a unique name just for the threads.

StillIInDenial Tue 03-Oct-17 08:19:18

I don't understand why they don't or can't make it impossible to namechange on a thread.

I agree. I started a thread asking this once, and got hammered down by people saying it's my job to keep track on it.

However when it's a 800+ posts thread, and I said something on the 17th page, I can't remember by post 801 2 weeks later which name it was that I used.

I'd LOVE it if they made it impossible. Surely that would make their job less of a headache too?

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Oct-17 09:44:10

Hi there OP,

No limit! grin

What everyone else says, really.

Sorry, StillIInDenial! flowers and cake We'll pass your feedback to the people above - it's a very good point that you raise.

Anecdoche Tue 03-Oct-17 09:46:32

must be so annoying for newbies. i bet it is next to impossible to find a username any more 😁

KatherinaMinola Tue 03-Oct-17 09:50:06

I thought it was against the rules to have two different user names concurrently? Unless you had NC to make a particularly sensitive post of course. I'm sure it used to be...?

WayUp Tue 03-Oct-17 15:14:08

I thought it was against the rules to have two different user names concurrently?

I don't think it is. It's only when you post on the same thread that is not ok. Or if you are deliberately sock puppeting.

I'm on a gaming thread under a name I've been using for well over a year. For all other posts I name change every few days. I don't want the two connected.

SarahH12 Tue 03-Oct-17 15:18:32

Would be so useful if you couldn't change username part way through a thread. I've accidentally changed username part way through in the past. It's frustrating from my own point of view not to mention it comes across as deliberate!

CalmanOnSpeeddial Tue 03-Oct-17 15:22:57

I agree that accidentally sockpuppeting/outing yourself on the same thread is all too easy. There are occasionally good reasons to do it: showing off a relevant sparkly new name change or where a thread you’ve already posted on takes a certain turn and you feel the need to share sensitive personal information under a more anonymous name. But I’m not sure they’re overwhelmingly necessary.

CampfireZen Wed 04-Oct-17 14:22:24

LornaMumsnet,

Thanks so much for the prompt response. flowers Good to now know the official line on it.

Thanks, too, to everyone else for your input. Interesting points you all make.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Oct-17 09:50:07

No problem, OP.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now