Talk

Advanced search

What actually are your plans to deal with disablism on MN?

(824 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

JustAnothersilentorangenugget Sat 08-Jul-17 16:20:31

You remember you were going to impliment all kinds of things, Message which explained posts were deleted due to disablism, Emails to the posters, proactive buzzwords...

a year on what has been the result of this massive change in moderation?

Now i'm not suggesting this was a carrot, dangled to try and stop people leaving....
But we donkeys ARE getting a little tired of walking and woudl like to know what plans are there for the future to stop attacks.

YouHaveBeenSummarilyDismissed Sat 08-Jul-17 16:23:24

They deleted the whole thread and gave an excellent explanation. I think it has been handled well.

And they called one person a troll on the thread.

Samcro Sat 08-Jul-17 16:24:46

Sadly this has been asked before and nothing has changed

FrancisCrawford Sat 08-Jul-17 16:25:45

And why are so many disablist posts allowed to stand?

Example: on thread about wheelchair space on bus, post stating "buggies are the same as wheelchairs and have just as much right to use the space" is reported. It is clearly disablist because it seeks to justify using a space provided npby law for wheelchair users and thus is significantly to the detriment of people in wheelchairs. It us thus a clear breach if the DDA.

But MN let it stand.

Does MN know better than the law?

Pagwatch Sat 08-Jul-17 16:26:02

<stares off into middle distance >

JustAimSomeOnesNose Sat 08-Jul-17 16:26:57

It was me who was called a troll, I've been banned before, and now once again banned for standing up for rights.

FrancisCrawford Sat 08-Jul-17 16:28:09

They deleted the whole thread and gave an excellent explanation. I think it has been handled well.

Why not just delete the disablist/troll posts?

The thread was doing a great job of tackling prejudices and myths and providing some badly needed basic education.

Deleting it achieved nothing.

JustAimSomeOnesNose Sat 08-Jul-17 16:28:43

7.7 million members most of them my previous accounts.

Pagwatch Sat 08-Jul-17 16:28:56

What were you called a troll for.
I don't understand/know the context of your post

JustAimSomeOnesNose Sat 08-Jul-17 16:30:15

Not much, I do similar stuff on lots of threads, i got banne dfor it once and now i'm a PBP so ZAAAAAAAP!

Pagwatch Sat 08-Jul-17 16:30:26

Deleting a whole thread is probably the easiest option but it's like catching one child bullying another and deciding to punish them both for fighting.

Disablist posts should be flagged as such

YouHaveBeenSummarilyDismissed Sat 08-Jul-17 16:30:52

If they leave the explanations to stand and at that the thread is providing an education then posters say the whole thing should be deleted as it is so horrific and that posters should get their own bloody education about abilities before sounding off, etc.

Samcro Sat 08-Jul-17 16:30:57

Im sadit was deleted, its the first time i have seen a wc on bus thread full of support for the wc
Was that why? Maybe mn hq don't want the buggy users upset
Or m i just over thinking

JustAimSomeOnesNose Sat 08-Jul-17 16:30:58

But as i said on the thread, when you can just sign up again what threat is banning to troublemakers?

JuicyNectarine Sat 08-Jul-17 16:31:17

<links tired arms with usual crew> Well?

Pagwatch Sat 08-Jul-17 16:31:18

That doesn't answer my question.
Is there a reason you are not answering ?

YouHaveBeenSummarilyDismissed Sat 08-Jul-17 16:33:45

In the past they have let conversations stand as an education to others. Posters who felt traumatised by the disabilism felt this was an awful thing to do.

And yes they can delete the ableist posts but then they will get questioned as to why the thread is left there when it is so full of ableism.

How can they win? This goes round and round.

The thread had effectively declined into a bun fight.

BitOfFun Sat 08-Jul-17 16:34:54

What a stroppy-sounding OP- you do realise that MNHQ are real people doing their best to be understanding and inclusive while they work hard to provide you with a free service? They aren't public servants paid for by your taxes, nor are they Mr Burns-style capitalist villains plotting to flood valleys or oppress indigenous peoples: a little less rudeness might be appropriate here.

CrochetBelle Sat 08-Jul-17 16:34:54

Jason, why were you called a troll?

picklemepopcorn Sat 08-Jul-17 16:35:01

What would be interesting would be a flag attached to a post saying 'this is a disablist comment'. That way people get to see what disablism is. If the posts are all deleted, people will keep saying the same stuff because they don't get it.

YouHaveBeenSummarilyDismissed Sat 08-Jul-17 16:35:12

The troll statement was general. How does anyone know it was them?

Pagwatch Sat 08-Jul-17 16:37:41

The 'haha I'm a troll and a PBP' thing is a bit weird.

YouHaveBeenSummarilyDismissed Sat 08-Jul-17 16:37:41

picklemepopcorn people say the same ableist shit all the time. If you live with a disability or a disabled person then you know it to be true. And these boars are like ground hog day for disableism. The same shit gets said over and over.

However, more recently, every single pair that I have reported for ableism has been deleted. It is much better than it used to be.

MaudGonneMad Sat 08-Jul-17 16:38:28

Ah, Jason.

Pagwatch Sat 08-Jul-17 16:39:13

I think people not directly affected by disability pointing out posters spouting bigoted nonsense is a huge improvement lately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now