Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet app on ipad

(10 Posts)
Andylion Tue 30-May-17 23:11:31

I just bought my first ipad. One of the first things I did was download apps for site I us, among, the one for Mumsnet.

I know that app users have issues with "shameless bookmarking" as that feature doesn't function with the app. Are there other things I should be aware of? I ended up just accessing MN via Firefox, but I wondered if there are advantages to the app?

ErrolTheDragon Tue 30-May-17 23:22:46

It's 'cleaner' - no sidebar, the only ad I see is the little Fairy strip, larger default text. I use the browser version on a PC where there's a bigger screen so those things don't matter too much, but generally prefer the app now.

NinaMarieP Tue 30-May-17 23:27:51

I use the app on my iPhone and the best bit is the fact it isn't covered in adverts!

I find the bookmarking works for me on it as well, though that seems an uncommon story!

ErrolTheDragon Tue 30-May-17 23:38:56

I've not tried the bookmarking, will do so as an experiment.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 30-May-17 23:39:56

Ok, that seemed to work.

Andylion Wed 31-May-17 00:37:48

I think I just read on another thread that bookmarking is something you can turn on and off. Is that correct? I'm not anywhere near my ipad right now to test it out.

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 31-May-17 09:54:18

Hi @Andylion thanks for asking, the majority of Mumsnet Talk features are available on the app, including the bookmarking feature. The setting to 'switch off bookmarks' only exists on the web.

The app is optimised for iPhones and iPads, designed to improve the whole experience of reading, browsing and posting on Talk. We're also currently experimenting with Push Notifications and other app features.

Let us know what you think!

ErrolTheDragon Wed 31-May-17 10:42:08

The main deficiency I find in using the app versus the browser on a PC - and this may be ignorance on my part and also applies to using the browser on a i-thing - is I don't know how to find something in a thread i.e ctrl-F type searching. Maybe there's some general i-thing way to do this I've not found, but it can make navigating a long thread tedious. I don't think that's an MN problem per se, just something which affects usability.

Andylion Thu 01-Jun-17 19:18:17

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had the chance to go near my ipad since I posted. So, where is the bookmarking feature? In the same place?

ErrolTheDragon Thu 01-Jun-17 22:57:17

You just pull left on the arrow at the top right of a post, that has buttons to bookmark, report or share (never tried that one). Bookmark is a toggle, so you can turn it off again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now