Talk

Advanced search

Can we have the OPs posts highlighted even if theyve changed their username case?

(24 Posts)
Stormtreader Fri 26-May-17 12:13:20

MN lets you log in with your username in whatever case you want, but it only highlights posts where the username exactly matches what it was when the thread was created.

So if I make a post as "UserName" and then later on login as "Username", it wont highlight my later posts as being from the OP even though its the same account.

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-May-17 12:22:03

You shouldn't namechange mid thread really.

AuntieStella Fri 26-May-17 12:25:08

I think she means removing case-sensitivity from the 'highlight OP's posts' function.

Though I don't think that someone changing capitalisation in their username when they return to the name they used on that thread is that frequent a problem, so I wouldn't be puttin git high up the 'to do' list.

Anything with even the remotest chance of misfiring and linking different usernames should not be done, though.

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-May-17 12:27:17

I am not seeing the problem. Why would you suddenly change the capitals in your username?

TeenAndTween Fri 26-May-17 12:31:03

I too think it would be nice and can't believe it is too difficult to do.

I am imagining code that currently says:
if (postername == originalposter) then highlight

and it would only need to say:
if (changetolower(postername)==changetolower(originalposter)) then highlight

and they must have a changetolower() function already otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to accidentally post with incorrect capitalisation anyway.

TeenAndTween Fri 26-May-17 12:32:44

Sparkling I have an alternate name I use on one specific board so I just name change from my usual one whenever I post on it. If I mistype then the capitalisation goes wrong and it's not highlighted for others.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 26-May-17 12:33:45

it does seem ridiculous to me that UserName is judged the same as username for logging in purposes, but somehow MN pretends it's not the same person

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 26-May-17 12:35:13

oh missed a bit..

not the same person within a thread

Trills Fri 26-May-17 12:37:28

Removing case-sensitivity from highlighting is a good idea.

Usernames themselves are not case sensitive - I own "Trills" and nobody can register "triLLs".

Stormtreader Fri 26-May-17 13:17:15

Exactly.

So the reason im asking is ive been following this post:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2927943-To-be-worried-about-the-school-rabbits-WWYD

The OP made the first post as lottieandmia, but must have logged back in later as LottieandMia - the later posts arent highlighted.

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-May-17 13:17:34

I am probably being a bit thick. But then I never change my username. grin

Stormtreader Fri 26-May-17 13:19:11

Its not a name change, its the same username, just with different uppercase/lowercase.
Im a computer person myself so I know it should be easy to fix! :D

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-May-17 13:22:06

I still don't get it.

Stormtreader Fri 26-May-17 14:08:58

You see how Sparklingbrook, SPARKLINGBROOK and sparklingBROOK are all actually the same word?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 26-May-17 14:10:33

advanced search works too, regardless of upper or lower case

Sparkling....not sure why you are not getting it....do you have OP's posts highlighted?? Or do you just look for their name as you scroll through a thread?

If an OP posts a thread as MrsCapitalLetters on her phone and readers of that thread have their MN settings to highlight her posts then when MrsCapitalLetters goes home and logs in on her ipad <other devices are available> as mrscapitalletters then her posts will no longer be highlighted for readers to follow

It's a PITA! Especially since MNtechstuff appears to realise that MrsCapitalLetters is mrscapitalletters is MrScApItAlLeTtErS is MRScapitalLETTERS is mrsCAPITALletters

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-May-17 14:13:41

I have OP's posts highlighted and have never noticed what OP describes.

I understand that the three examples of my NN are the same word. What I don't understand is why I would need the last two. That's what I don't get. Why I would log in with anything other than what I am logged in as now. Why would I start using random capitals?

I only ever use my phone or laptop is that what I am missing?

DonkeyOaty Fri 26-May-17 14:20:27

I didn't realise that SparklingBrook, Sparklingbrook etc would all be recognised as the same name. I thought they would have had to be registered by the poster.

Every day's a school day!

Ps sorry Sparklers for using you as an example.

SUMTHUCKER Fri 26-May-17 14:23:28

Test-- Did NOT know I could randomly capitalise my username. Why would you change it though?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 26-May-17 14:24:07

sparklingbrook
I mostly post as BreakfastAtSquiffanys, but have a couple of alteregos who are a lot more mouthy, pretend it's NotBreakfast.
If I'm logged in as BreakfastAtSquiffanys but want to make a single post as NotBreakfast, I just write my alternative username in the box above the post, and look and behold, I've posted as NotBreakfast but I'm still logged in as BAS.
I could temporarily name change and start a thread as NotBreakfast, then change back to BAS. Then I want to respond to the NotBreakfast thread without changing my username, so I just type notbreakfast above my post.
It let's me post even though the caps are different, but it won't highlight that post.

MrsHathaway Fri 26-May-17 14:25:45

If it's a throwaway for that thread/problem/part of her life then she might be using something else most of the time.

eg if I had an alternative username (hope this isn't in use) EurovisionFanatic I might quickly change over to start a thread about Eurovision, but shift back over to MrsHathaway for posting on threads about parking, bank holidays and too-thin leggings. I go into TIO and see that other people are getting excited about Eurovision, so I do that thing where you overwrite your username in the box bit (see attached) but cock up slightly and put EuroVisionFanatic. So even though it's still me and I'm not sock-puppeting, the system wouldn't recognise me as the OP.

MrShAtHaWaY Fri 26-May-17 14:26:32

Painful but here I am again.

Er, Mr Shat Haway. A Geordie on a stag do?

SumThucker Fri 26-May-17 14:27:24

Aah I get it, it wouldn't highlight the slightly different name of the OP if they'd used capitals?

That's a bit rubbish, I've always presumed the OPs posts would always be highlighted, even if they name changed mid-thread.

CormorantDevouringTime Fri 26-May-17 14:28:27

The thing is, Sparkling, that I might start a thread about schools, and then realise that Game of Thrones season has started so change my name to BringBackTywinLannister, but then I remember my school thread, so I go back to update. I remember that I have to change my name back to the original, but I'm in a hurry so I just type cormorantdevouringtime into the name box. But nobody on the thread recognises it as me because I'm not highlighted.

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-May-17 16:49:14

OMG. It's a good job I never namechange. It all sounds very complicated with loads of potential for an accidental outing or sock puppeting.

I just post. As Sparklingbrook. It's easier. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now