Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trans topic. Please.

(166 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:10:57

Please can we have a trans topic. The site is over run with trans threads and I'd like to be able to hide the whole lot of them.

BeyondUser24601 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:13:59

Mn have stated that they will not create sections to corral debate. That's not how it works - they get set up by request of the users.

BeyondUser24601 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:14:22

And do you think the trolling user names would use the correct section, or would they post in Aibu for a fight?

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:15:15

I'm requesting. If I'm not to request here then what am I supposed to do?

As I said. HQ can move the threads if there is an area to move them to.

BeyondUser24601 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:19:50

They said it would have to be requested by the users who wish to use it, not random readers who want the discussion corralled away from them.

I'm just telling you that it has already been requested and that was already the answer

BeyondUser24601 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:20:39

HQ don't want to be pissing about moving threads, or that is all they will spend all day doing confused

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:21:25

So I'm asking again [confised] am I not allowed to ask?

MiriamWebster Wed 22-Mar-17 13:22:54

Just hide the individual threads. There are a certain type of threads that I can't bear and they are posted all over the place so I can't hide the topic so I just hide the thread as soon as it pops up. Job done.

JigglyTuff Wed 22-Mar-17 13:23:08

We have one already. It's called Feminism and Women's Rights

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 22-Mar-17 13:24:02

HQ don't want to be pissing about moving threads, or that is all they will spend all day doing

They did during EURef tbf

DixieNormas Wed 22-Mar-17 13:24:50

I thought we already had one, it wouldn't stop people posting other places anyway

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:25:02

I have to open the thread to hide it though. If there was a topic I could hide the whole topic.

Littleballerina Wed 22-Mar-17 13:27:36

Agree with you university.

DownHereInTheHorridHouse Wed 22-Mar-17 13:28:05

No, it's a terrible idea.

I don't want to be silenced or othered. I want to see the strength of feeling on a topic. I don't want someone else, who deems this an irrelevance, to determine that it should be hidden because it bothers them.

BigDeskBob Wed 22-Mar-17 13:28:16

Just act like an adult and ignore threads that don't interest you

JigglyTuff Wed 22-Mar-17 13:28:42

No you don't have to open the thread. There's a hide button on the RH side of the thread title and you swipe left on the app

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:29:58

I do not use the app and I can't see a hide option unless I open the thread.

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:31:25

Screenshot attached of what I see in active convos. . If you can tell me where there's a hide button there I'm not seeing I'd be very grateful smile

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 22-Mar-17 13:32:58

I don't want to be silenced or othered.

Right so according to that logic every topic that has its own area is silencing and othering peoole?

I want to see the strength of feeling on a topic. I don't want someone else, who deems this an irrelevance, to determine that it should be hidden because it bothers them.

You would see it. It gives others the option to not see it. Or are you saying others shouldn't be able to use the hide button to hide a topic it because you don't want them to.

JigglyTuff Wed 22-Mar-17 13:34:05

How weird! I don't know what browser you're using.

This is what I see on Firefox (or Chrome)

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:36:46

That's from the iPad on safari. Maybe I need to customise my settings? I'll go and have a look. smile

And yes to what piglet said - if it's othering to have a topic then there shouldn't be any topics at all. Just one big mash of everything all together.

SookiesSocks Wed 22-Mar-17 13:37:24

Most of the threads have trans in the title....so dont open it.
If it doesnt then you can just hide it and close it again.

I dont understand what is so difficult about that confused

MiriamWebster Wed 22-Mar-17 13:38:07

I use safari and yes I open each thread to hide it but it requires very little effort.

I hide it the first time I see it and don't read any of it. It's a painless process. People post in the wrong topic all the time anyway.

Universitychallenging Wed 22-Mar-17 13:39:16

If there was a topic I could hide the whole topic.

What's hard to understand about that? It's no different to travel, or gardening or EU referendum.

And the number of trans threads in the last day or two has increased massively.

MiriamWebster Wed 22-Mar-17 13:41:51

It isn't hard to understand. MN have said they won't create sections to corral debate. What's so hard to understand about that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now